disability living allowance

ghosty

Feb 13, 2006
worthing
Hi
My wife has wernickes korsakoff syndrome.Most people have little knowledge of it ,even the doctors.She is unable to walk and has severe short term memory problems.She has very little conversation and just asks for cups of tea,cigarettes and the toilet all day.
I look after her on my own and have done so for nearly 9 years now with no help from anyone and have not had 1 days break.I do not have a problem with that but was wondering if any members know the chances of me getting high rate care component DLA as we only get middle rate care and high rate mobility.As i obviously have to be there all night and she often wakes up i was wondering if other members have been able to claim high rate DLA for relatives with dementia.
Any comments would be appreciated.

ghosty

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hello Ghosty

I can't be much help re disability allowances, but I wondered if you qualify for the Attendance Allowance. That, I believe is paid regardless of any other income you may have, worth a phone call or visit to the local Citizens Advice Bureau maybe.

Kathleen

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Firstly : Attendance allowance is paid after 65
Disability living allowance is paid for under 65.

Hi ghosty, yes is the short answer. Phone, and say that you feel the need for re-assment. Complete the forms fully, remember always state worst case scenario.
I claim is allowed it is backdated to when you applied for the new forms.

Managed it for my Lionel earlier last year, when problems at night were occuring.
Best of luck, Connie

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Attendance Allowance

Its sounds like you should be getting attendance allowance (there is a 6 month delay to receiving from your application) - so get on with it! There is no age limit. The forms are a bit offputting but the advice is to put in the worst scenario - dont be modest about your care. I thought I had put in a lousy application and SServices said if I did not get it to ask them to help with forms. By the time I had put in 4 consultants names for varying problems it seemed we were accepted easily! I hope you can do the same. (emphasise the night care as that makes a difference on the level of AAllowance you get). Dont mesaround get on with it as you may have to wait 6 mths for payment. Good luck BeckyJan

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Attendance Allowance

I think a little clarification might be needed here. Attendance allowance is paid once someone has needed help for six months. If you fill out the form stating that the person has been needing help from a date at least six months prior, and your application is approved, there won't be a six-month lag.

If your application is approved, the payments will be back-dated to the date when the form was requested from the Department for Work and Pensions. You can read more about this on their web site :

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/attendance_allowance.asp

Take care,

Sandy