Direct Payments

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Does anyone have experience of direct payments?
I am looking at it and it looks awfully complicated.
Does it vary area to area?
Norman

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Dear Norman

I am in the midst of an application for Direct Payments. This was recommended by the Social Worker who said he thought we had a good case. He is putting the case forward at this time.

I understand there will have to be further interviews with the Direct Payment unit. It also involves a separate bank account I am led to believe. And the money can only be used to pay approved staff.

I have a message on my answerphone today which I didn't pick up until the SS office had closed. It was from the SW who asked that I ring him and he would bring me up to date with what was happening. So presumably something is happening.

As today is Friday I can get no further until Monday. I will keep you informed as soon as I know something.

Cheers Barraf

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Barraf
I have all the details and as I said it looks complicated.
However might it fit in with the idea that someone,was it Jude mentioned running caring like a business?
Keep us posted
Norman

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Dear Norman

Spoke to my SW today, he has complete his assessment, typed it up, and passed it on (to one of the Senior Managers) with a view to getting direct payments.

We are now awaiting further developments, don't hold your breath.

You have difficulty getting a SW but they seem to have a plethora of Senior Managers.

Cheers Barraf

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Barraf
it's the luck of the draw.
We have a wonderful SW,CPN in addition a lady from D.I.S.K (Heart of Birmingham Dementia Information and support for Carers)
D.I.S.K is a new care service of Crossroads established in June 2003.Are they nation wide?
Norman

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Hello Norman

Received the care assessments for Margaret and Myself from the Social Services today.

My bit is as follows:-

Identified care needs.
To have a sitting service provided so that Mr Barraclough can have a break.

How identified needs are to be met and by whom.
Direct payments to pay for sitting service.

Outcome and goals sought
To enable Mr Barraclough as carer to be supported.

Date service to start.
TBC.

Presumably TBC means To be confirmed.

It could of course also mean,

Tomorrow brings chaos.

The buck cleared.

Total b****y ****.

Or any number of alternatives I am too tired to think up.

Let you know when the next enthralling installment appears

Cheers Barraf

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Sorry to read of your poor result, Barraf - isn't it a let-down when you think you can see a little glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel and it turns out to be yet another fata morgana .....
Hope you have a good sunday.
Love, Carmen

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Dear All

Just keeping you up to date.

In our local paper tonight Kirklees, our local Metropolitain Council are blowing their own trumpet because Kirklees Social Services have been awarded three stars for good service.

It is now three weeks since I was informed that I had been reccomended for direct payments. I have heard nothing since.

If that is three star treatment thank God we are not a one star council.

Heigh Ho, roll on Christmas and we can all have some nuts.

Cheers Barraf

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Barraf
we have now had our assessments,reads like yours except for the direct payments.
I already get three hours from crossroads and the SW asked for another three from SS.
I am told I have to go on a waiting listand the SS have to use the internal sitting service!! We are No 7 on the list.
In the meantime crossroads it seems will come up with the other 3 hours.
I have now asked why SS cannot pay crossroads for the whole 6 hours.
Watch this space
all the best
Norman

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Latest

I received a phone call from the Social Worker who carried out the carer's assessment. Saying that after almost five weeks the managers had decided that I should not receive Direct Payments and he was told to refer my case to Crossroads.

I have been on the Crossroad's waiting list since 6th Sept anyway and they will only offer up to 4 hrs when I reach the top of the list, I am now in sixth position. (Isn't it exciting)

I have written to the SS complaints section as I cannot find an appeals procedure.

Will keep you informed of any futher developements.

Cheers Barraf

Sally

Mar 16, 2004
London
Dear Barraf,

As far as I am a ware there is no appeals sytem and since SS have said no I think you are probably doing the right thing by using their complaints procedure.

It would be helpful if you knew why they had turned you down...is it because they feel your wife could not accurately assess the quality of care or is it because they feel your wife could not handle the financial aspect?

SW practice is not consistent on this one - some SW will say the person cannot manage the money and the enduring power of attorney form does not cover DP; some say that people with dementia have lost the capacity to differentiate between good and poor care therefore the principle behind the DP system falls down; some SW simply give DP and allow the carer to manage the money with few questions asked. So it's a tricky one. I wish yu the best with it.

One last thought, Stephen Ladyman seems very keen on getting people with dementia more involved with DP. Mentioning that can't do any harm!

Sally

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Sally,Barraff
to recap,we have had our assesments,we are on a waiting list for a carer from internal SS!!
I have 4 hours from Crossroads and the promise of another 4 but SS cannot fund it and I have to remain on SS waiting list?
We have a good SW,I have told her that I wish to apply for direct payments,she agrees but this will be the first one that she has processed.
I have also told her that I am not happy.
I have asked to convey my message to her manager.
and that I am quite happy to kick up a big stink if I have too.
I am quite happy to make an issue out of this stupidity.
Keep you posted
Norman
:mad:

C

Chesca

Sorry, but am I reading this right?

Direct payments are made directly to the sufferer's bank account etc., providing they:

a. are able to manage their own financial affairs (despite Attendance Allowance being paid directly to a nominee as it is a given they will not be able so to do);

or

b. are able to accurately assess their own care needs

depending upon the post code lottery?

And all this, given such claims are driven by the desperation to provide care support because their loved one is too ill and at risk to be able to make such a decision in the first place?

Stephen Ladyman is keen to involve Dementia sufferers in assessing their need for Direct Payment? Well, that's OK then! His fund will never be depleted, he can claim nobody is using it and absorb it into another scheme next year. Remy Martin all round!

Am off to visit Mum in the Nursing Home shortly, I'll get her to drop him a line! That's what it will be! A line _____________. And whilst there I'll put my name down for a room. I'm obviously already around the twist, or the world is.

Chesca

Sally

Mar 16, 2004
London
Just to clarify, the pensions service did not realise that there was something already called direct payments when they came up with the name for the service you describe, Chesca, so now we have two types of direct payments - one where social services give people money to buy in and manage their own care, and one which means the system whereby your pension goes into an account thereby ridding us of pension books! Grrrreat.

Sally

C

Chesca

Thanks, Sally. That's cleared it! Am definitely reserving myself a suite. How can you communicate with the incommunicable of the DWP? We spend most of our days doing that at home - don't need to go out for it. Actually, come to think of it, dementia patients would be more able in their dealings. Amazing!

Chesca

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Chesca
direct payments is a complicated system.
I wouldn't try to explain it,but AS fact sheet 473 gives an decription.
all best wishes
Norman

C

Chesca

Norman, is fact sheet 473 to be found in file 13? Will that be the complicated system beyond my comprehension?

Chesca

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Hello All

Another installment.

My Social Worker rang this morning to say there had been a change of mind and he was now empowered to offer me four hours per week for a carer. Paid for from some fund I have never heard of and I can't remember what he called it. This will enable me to hire from an agency who will bill the SS. I have asked him to put it in writing and send it to me.

I also asked if this was the result of my complaint, or the result of the intervention of my local councillor, to whom I wrote asking for advice and help. He (the councillor) promised to talk to the Director of Social affairs and Health. The SW said "I'm afraid I can't comment", understandably.

It seems to me however that a change of heart or mind has only occurred after my stirring thing up. I still haven't got direct payments but at least I have made a start and I will be getting some respite.
Also today the representative from Crossroads came to assess us and said they could provide up to four hours per week caring. She left us to decide what we would like, and asked me to ring within the next few days. This is to start after Christmas.

So on the whole it has been a good day and I think I can chalk up a victory.

Cheers Barraf

Geraldine

Oct 17, 2003
Nottingham
Well done! This has convinced me even more that Social Services sit on their resources and only give them out to those who have the energy and wherewithal to shout loud and shout longest!

Geraldine