Direct Payments.....

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by piph, Oct 25, 2015.

1. piph

piph Registered User

Feb 4, 2013
    Northamptonshire
    I have been administering my Mum's Direct Payments account for just over a year. In that time the care agency that I use increased their prices and the LA's contribution was raised to cover the cost, as it was still well within Mum's Personal Budget as set by the LA when it was all set up.

Can anyone tell me whether I can re-adjust how the money is spent? Her care needs have increased, and the amount set aside for her to 'access local facilities' (ie the library etc) is no longer required as she rarely wants to go out at all. Can I spend that money to increase the carer's visits, without letting the LA know, as long as I don't exceed the current costs?

It was my understanding that I could, but I'm a bit wary without confirmation.

2. piph

piph Registered User

Feb 4, 2013
    Northamptonshire
    As I had no replies I thought I'd chance my arm and try and contact the Adult Social Care Team this morning, in particular the SW who was very understanding this time last year when it was all being set up. Miracle of miracles, I had an email back within a couple of hours giving me permission to re-allocate some of the funds for an 'interim period' but I must request an unscheduled review as mum's needs have obviously changed. Result!:)

3. jeany123

jeany123 Registered User

Mar 24, 2012
    Durham
    Well done piph I hope you get everything sorted out x

4. piph

piph Registered User

Feb 4, 2013
    Northamptonshire
    Thanks jeany - I seem to be spending my whole life worrying and trying to sort things out! Next on the list is to buy some Kylie sheets - there seem to be so many different websites out there selling them that I'm struggling to find the cheapest. Also, I'll have to use the double size on a single bed as mum sits on the side of the bed and starts to wee before she gets up!

5. Katrine

Katrine Registered User

Jan 20, 2011
    England
    Yes, the double bed size is good, and get the ones that have a tuck in flap round the edge to anchor it in place. When you wash it, put it on a rinse and spin cycle first. That gets rid of most of the urine. Then wash as normal. Do not tumble dry as rubberised items overheat in the dryer and can catch fire. :eek:

6. piph

piph Registered User

Feb 4, 2013
    Northamptonshire
    #6 piph, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    Thanks Katrine, I'll remember that - although the washing instructions on the website say they can be tumble dried!

PS Just looked again and it says to tumble dry on a low or medium heat.

7. Katrine

Katrine Registered User

Jan 20, 2011
    England
    #7 Katrine, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
    That sounds OK then. However, we have found that it is very difficult to get all the urine out of soiled bedding. I have had to replace a tumble dryer that got contaminated. The condenser dryers have a sort of sump of water that primes the system and if you get urine in there the bugs breed. I tried everything to decontaminate it and even got an engineer in, but there was nothing he could do. We now have 2 dryers, one for my mum's laundry and one for everything else. We also use Dettol laundry cleanser in every wash and that seems to have stopped re-contamination of the new dryer. Personally I would rather air dry the Kylies, but it depends whether you have space to do that.

8. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Sorry I didn't see this yesterday piph.

When I used direct payments for Dhiren, as his needs changed I just made contact with SS and they accommodated us to meet his needs. Once I had permission to increase his care the care agency increased carer time.

It was excellent.

9. piph

piph Registered User

Feb 4, 2013
    Northamptonshire
    Oooh heck - I never thought about that! I think I'll just not risk it and air dry them instead!

10. piph

piph Registered User

Feb 4, 2013
    Northamptonshire
    Thanks for that - as you'll see I've done that, but her review has to be brought forward, but I have permission to use use the part for social stuff for more care for the time being.

11. sleepless

sleepless Registered User

Feb 19, 2010
    Female
    The Sweet North
  12. piph

piph Registered User

Feb 4, 2013
    Northamptonshire
    Thanks - I'll have drum into her carers not to use fabric conditioner on them - hope they remember!