Direct payments

littlegem

Nov 11, 2010
north Wales
Hi all,
Just started direct payments from council for 5 hours a week, 2 x 2 1/2 hours. This after nearly 8 years of 24/7 caring.
I had no idea how complicated direct payments would be. Have what is called a 'managed account' which means this company does all the pay stuff- national insurance/tax etc.
What I am confused about is the induction meeting and supervision meetings. I asked this week whose time it all comes out of, my measly 5 hours a week off or the carers unpaid which I would not expect anyway.
Answer is it comes out of my 5 hours a week. So what will I be left with? 1 and 1/2 hours instead of the 2 and 1/2 hours.
So I asked about getting someone who is self employed. Again a whole lot more red tape with registering online with tax office and getting the local council to agree to whoever I might find.
I am seriously thinking about giving up direct payment, it just does not seem worth the bother for 5 hours a week.
Anyone have any advice for me please????!!!!!

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
I went to a presentation by Leonard Cheshire explaining about direct payments. I think these are available across the country and free of charge. After this I decided not to proceed with direct payments.
Tre

briana

May 23, 2011
south wales
direct payments stress

hi all, I applied for direct payments for care for my hubby thinking it would be so much easier to be flexible with regards to times etc., as I never know from one day to the next if that particular day that the carer is due to call will be a good day.
Rewind to last September asked care manager about it, then meetings had to be done, assessment's made, finally hubby was awarded 6 hours care per week, (was hoping for a night sit) then in jan had visit from the agency assisting with direct payments to " help" carers to set the whole thing up, so off I went opened a new bank account as advised, and waited, a carer that calls has offered to take the job, so I emailed my support worker at the agency to ask advice about the crb/ dps check, and I've spent most of the day emailing back and for asking for information, just to get this done!! im beginning to think its too much hassle, I thought this whole set up of care in the community was there to support us carers,,,i:(m so stressed by the whole thing its easier to go without, ,,, bb

Corriegal

Feb 7, 2015
Hi all,
Just started direct payments from council for 5 hours a week, 2 x 2 1/2 hours. This after nearly 8 years of 24/7 caring.
I had no idea how complicated direct payments would be. Have what is called a 'managed account' which means this company does all the pay stuff- national insurance/tax etc.
What I am confused about is the induction meeting and supervision meetings. I asked this week whose time it all comes out of, my measly 5 hours a week off or the carers unpaid which I would not expect anyway.
Answer is it comes out of my 5 hours a week. So what will I be left with? 1 and 1/2 hours instead of the 2 and 1/2 hours.
So I asked about getting someone who is self employed. Again a whole lot more red tape with registering online with tax office and getting the local council to agree to whoever I might find.
I am seriously thinking about giving up direct payment, it just does not seem worth the bother for 5 hours a week.
Anyone have any advice for me please????!!!!!

Hi, you maybe interested to know that I use the direct payment facility and oversee the payments to the care company, who help me look after my mum. This means no hassle, except to keep a record of what you receive in financial support and what you pay out. That way you don't get embroiled in self employment/tax etc. I found it useful, as the first couple of care companies who social services assigned & paid were awful and totally unsuitable. However Mum is now happily settled with the company she has coming in now, who are proving to be worth their weight in gold. Don't be put off, by using the Direct payment facility. You may even want to consider applying for a carers break, or respite break for your Mum, to give you some truly well deserved time for yourself. Hope this helps x