Direct Payments

suem

Jul 1, 2005
Worcestershire
Can anyone please advise...when you are assessed financially for Direct payments do they take capital into account? Does it go under the same rules as applying for care that if you have over £21000 you are not eligible.
thanks.

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Hi Sue and Norman.

I read the link with interest. I get Attendance Allowance for mum (the lower rate) which I was told paid for her care (which is more than the lower rate, by just a couple of quid). Is she entitled to Direct Payments as well as AA? I can't see anything on the sheet.

Thanks.

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Thanks, Nada. I've given them a call and I'll be getting a leaflet. Seemingly, my mum won't be allowed Direct Payments because as a dementia sufferer she's not deemed to have the mental capacity to obtain her own services. And I can't obtain them for her ... how odd, that I have to sort out all her finances and wot not and then something like this seems to go in the opposite direction.

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
So, pending the arrival of the info sheet. Would I need to add this proviso to mum's unregistered EPA? At the moment it says something about me being given permission to deal with all her affairs and so on without any exclusions. I wonder if I have to actually specify this, then?

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Do you have Enduring Power of Attorney?

This should allow you to claim benefits and spend them on someone's behalf. You can do this even if the money is paid to your mum's accounts because EPA gives you access to those as well.

If you don't have EPA, then it sounds as though your mum would now not be considered able to grant it, in which case you will have to apply via the Court of Protection.

Most claim forms have a special section marked "Fill this in if you are claiming on the person's behalf and you have power of attorney"

Of course Direct Payments may be a special case.

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Yes, unregistered EPA. I already keep an eye on her bank accounts and deal with her other bits n bobs for which she seems either not to remember or to give a toss. Sorry if that sounds callous, but I'm having a bad day today. This disease really is despicable.

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
That Consent thing is weird.

I would imagine that the new Lasting Powers of Attorney would address this issue.

How on earth is someone with dementia supposed to be able to give consent?

By the time it comes round to looking at direct payments it is too late.

Oh and as I understand it, until registered an EPA does not give the attorney any powers at all. Once you have applied to register you get limited powers, and full powers once the EPA is processed.

Lucille

Sep 10, 2005
Nebiroth said:
Oh and as I understand it, until registered an EPA does not give the attorney any powers at all. Once you have applied to register you get limited powers, and full powers once the EPA is processed.

Hi Nebiroth

I haven't found this to be the case at all. The unregistered EPA has allowed me access to mum's bank accounts and building society. I can write cheques and slosh money from one account to the other in order to make sure her bills are covered when the DDs go out. I've found this very handy as when she uses her switch card, it gives me an idea where she's been all day as she can't remember:confused: I have posted before about my wavering about registering the EPA. I'm afraid to say I'm still wavering. As once it's done, it's done. As mum is adamant that there is nothing wrong with her, that she doesn't want day care or any help from anyone because she is getting on OK, thank you very much, then to take that last bit of independence away would be a nightmare. She wouldn't remember what has happened with her card, why it's been taken or where it is. I don't live close by and I can imagine the chaotic non-stop telephone calls. (It's bad enough now). So I wait and I watch. The time will come but I just can't cope with doing it at the moment ...

seant

Feb 3, 2007
Cheshire
Personal Finances

Hello everyone,
I am just trying to find out if there exists a service that will help me in managing my dads finances and bills as I am finding this difficult at present due to be working away a lot? Also could direct payments be used for this? Any help would be appreciated as I cant seem to find anything on the net.

Thanks

Sean

EllieS

Aug 23, 2005
SOMERSET
Helpful places

Hi there

May not be appropriate, but as well as AS I have found Age Concern, Citizens Advice Bureaus and MIND extremely helpful.

Might be worth contacting them.

Best wishes

Eleanor

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Nebiroth
it seems very hit and miss how some are allowed direct payments and others are not.
With the implementation of the new mental capacity act this year April? things should become nore clear.
Norman

Last edited:

seant

Feb 3, 2007
Cheshire
Hi Norman and thanks for the information sheet it was very helpful. I also found an example of direct payments being used to buy the services of a person to manage the finances of an individual so it seems that this would be ok afterall.

Kind regards

Sean