Direct Payments

Nicola78

May 9, 2020
Can anyone clarify who I can pay to give care?
At present, I use two agencies and pay cash in hand. One of my cash in hand could now do some more hours (12) for me and I would like this as my dad gets on really well with her. If I employ her through the DP system will I have to pay her as a personal assistant or carer (pay rate changes)?
As a personal assistant, I understand that I would have to sort the tax, national insurance, holidays, sickness etc. For obvious reasons I don't really want to do this. Also at 12 hours a week, it seems a little bit labour intensive on my part.

As a carer, in the way that I pay the agency from the DP account, would this be possible? And she would sort her tax etc.

I would love to reduce the agency hours and this lady is great but I am also aware that there are so many twists and turns and want to do right by my dad and her.

deepetshopboy

Jul 7, 2008
If u use direct payment the council should use their payroll company i think if u use dp u need to do it properly ie tax national insurance

Pacucho

Hello Nicola,
If you want to use Direct Payments to recruit carers for your dad then I am afraid you will not be able to use cash-in-hand as a method of payment. This is is because you are effectively acting as their employer, and will need to sort out their tax, NI, etc.
However, if you use agencies to recruit the carers then you may be able to pay invoices issued by the agency companies, who will sort out tax, NI, ... instead.
I think it would be best to speak to whoever your main contact is at your council to clarify this.
Hope this helps,
Paco

Nicola78

May 9, 2020
Thank you Pacucho, I guessed as much. I think there is a support team to help with the tax, national insurance etc aspect. I have been discouraged from using personal assistants because of this and the holiday and sickness arrangements. However, this lady is the right fit for my dad and I will need to discuss it further with her and the respective support team.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
There are payroll bureau around that would deal with this aspect for you, no idea of what they would charge but suspect some would come up on google, you would pay them out of the DP as well.

I would expect it to work out cheaper than paying the agency as they are effectively charging for this in their hourly rate.