Direct Payments

pipd

Apr 12, 2015
Leigh on Sea Essex
I am hoping someone can explain Direct Payments to me. I care for mum in her own home (she has Alzheimers and Vascular Dementia) She gets the higher rate attendance allowance payments at the moment which we are using to buy frozen ready meals and to hire a gardener. I am in total ignorance as to what direct payments are and wondered if that is something I ought to be considering as my mums care needs change. I am not sure I will be able to cope alone with her care for much longer as I still work for my husbands business and have my own home to run along with a new grandchild that I would like to be able to help my daughter with when she returns to work. I am thinking that I might need to engage carers to come to her home soon (as she 100% doesn't want to leave her home), is this something that direct payments are used for ?? Would be grateful of any advice as the next stage of care is imminent. Thank you.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Hi pipd,

'Direct Payments' is a system whereby Social Services give the client/carer the money that they (SS) would have spent on carers so that the client can employ someone themselves.

This can only work if the client is not self-funding. if they areself-funding they will be paying the carers anyway. This depends on the PWD's financial situation.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
You really need to contact Adult Social Care in your area to make a referral for your mother. Sometimes waiting times for an assessment can be lengthy so emphasise the need for this in view of the pressures on your own life. If a care package is recommended there will be a financial assessment. Any one with over £23,000 capital will have to be self funding and you will have to arrange the care yourself.

It seems that every Local Authority has different ways of organising help with the cost of care. Do you have a Carer's support organisation locally? They should be able to help with advice. Age UK are often able to as well.

I'm sure other people will be able to give you more advice, and correct anything I may have said which is innaccurate.

Hope you can get something organised.

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hello pipd. I applied for personalisation as it was called then about 3 years ago and after a year of assessments , lost information , change of social workers I eventually received a direct payment . I use thus money to pay for a personal assistant to look after my mum when I'm not there . This equates to approximately 30 hrs per week as my mum also attends a day centre . I also make a contribution, but the majority is paid for by the council . It is certainly something I would pursue, as I can't recommend having a carer to look after my mum in her own home enough. My mum is so happy and her carer is an absolutely fabulous person who has enriched my mum's life and I know we couldn't do without her . I am registered as her employer and I pay a monthly fee ( which can be factored into the direct payment ) to a company who look after tax , insurance and pay all fees . I also would recommend purchasing indemnity insurance . If you are interested , contact social services and ask to be assessed. It can take a while so if your serious about it I would apply now . If you need any further info then please let me know , I will only be too glad to help . Best wishes , Lou

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
Hello there.

We were offered Direct payments by adult care services and it worked well.

They came and chatted with us to assess mum's care needs and agree a monthly DP figure with us. This was paid into a bank account which I had to open solely for the use of the Direct payment money.

We used this account to pay for all mum's carers who looked after her at home, and anything on her care plan requiring money. We used a care agency which meant that I was not responsible for NI, tax, Pensions, and all that malarkey so it was all straightforward.

My neighbour does employ carers directly though and says that the payroll side is not that bad at all as there are plenty of charities which will hold your hand through the process, or, for a small fee do it all for you.

Do not be afraid of DP's I thought they were great.

pipd

Apr 12, 2015
Leigh on Sea Essex
Thanks but still confused

Thank you for you replies, can someone confirm if direct payments are based on how much the person who needs care already has in savings ? Is this where the £23,000 figure comes into play, if so then I guess there is no point in me pursuing it as mum has over that amount at present, perhaps I can apply if it reduces to below the threshold once she starts to pay for her own carers out of it ? Who knew life could become so complicated just to enable mum to be safe and looked after by someone other than myself.

Relm

Jan 24, 2011
Thank you for you replies, can someone confirm if direct payments are based on how much the person who needs care already has in savings ? Is this where the £23,000 figure comes into play, if so then I guess there is no point in me pursuing it as mum has over that amount at present, perhaps I can apply if it reduces to below the threshold once she starts to pay for her own carers out of it ? Who knew life could become so complicated just to enable mum to be safe and looked after by someone other than myself.

Income is a factor too. £1 a week income is converted to £250 savings although some forms of income are ignored.

Now is the time to make reasonable purchases: new tv, home repairs, nicer kitchen, etc. Super-extravagent expenditure or unaccountable large cash donations may raise some questions about their necessity when the council do their financial assessment.

pipd

Apr 12, 2015
Leigh on Sea Essex
thanks

Ok now I think I understand, my parents worked hard all their lives, saved hard, paid off their mortgage early, contributed via national insurance payments for many many years and will be entitled to no help at all.....................really makes sense doesn't it. Heyho...onwards and upwards. PS we are not the type of family to make extravagant purchases just to do away with their savings in the hope of getting some help. I guess we just have to accept that nobody helps those who help themselves in life.
thanks for all your replies though, this forum is invaluable to me.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I had thought about getting a new kitchen fitted and possibly replacing the windows as neither have been done since we moved into this house 17 years ago. Whilst this would help to defray some of my wife's savings (in a useful way), I was put off the kitchen idea as my wife has trouble finding things in her familiar surroundings never mind if the kitchen layout, cupboards etc. are changed in an upgrade. If the money has to go to pay for her care then at least it is for her benefit, although stepson will not be pleased to see his legacy diminishing!

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon

It is terribly complicated pipd. It might be worth making a referral to Adult Services anyway so that you can get the whole picture of what is available. Do you get Carer's Allowance for yourself? You can't get this if you are yourself in receipt of a State pension so I don't know much about it but I think as your mum gets the Higher rate of Attendance Allowance it should be quite easy for you to get it.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx