Direct Payments in Scotland

EmJ

Sep 26, 2007
Scotland
Happy New Year everyone.

My family are considering direct payments for my Granny in the near future. She currently receives some visits from homecarers from the local authority and my family support her the rest of the time. We would like something more flexible which works around her needs.

Does anyone here have any experience of the Scottish direct payments system?

Any information would be much appreciated.

EmJ:)

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Hi.
Yes i have experience with Direct Payments in Scotland. Its unfortuantly up to the Social Worker. I got 10hrs a week. It also depends on the Agency costs which can be anything between £15 - £20 an hour but you can use it for to hire your own carers as well. I have from the Scottish Exec the guidelines as i was limited and i should not have been.It can also include respite If i can i will check and see if i can pass it on to you as i have it stored on my downloads there is a few pages on it. If you have this you will know and can check its done right.

EmJ

Sep 26, 2007
Scotland
Thanks for your reply and PM.

I have a copy of the national guidance on self-directed support which is a scottish government publication. It is quite a lengthy document...

What I am looking for is an idea of how long the process may take. Also what about power of attorney? It is not activated but we know my granny wouldn't be to manage her care. We do have a care manager but the system seems to be under a lot of pressure.

This place tends to be our point of call mostly as it can be difficult to get the answers. At least here people with real experiences can help :)

Any further info would be much appreciated.

Thanks
EmJ :)

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
I think it took about 2 months to come through but it was back dated and i was told i could start using it, but you have to tell the agency that you are using that the payment isnt yet through. I also saved up hours at the begining just incase things changed and needed more help. ( With this illness that can happen)They don't think about that when they access so push for that as well.I had to fly down South for a family funeral so the saved up hours came in handy.

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Forgot to say POA i got it right away. I have found it very useful. I also have welfare. If nobody has this Social Services apply for Guardenship. If she is still aware and can sign her name i would say defently get it for her own welfare. It cost though. If you are in Edinburgh Vocal will help you or Princess Trust they have names of soliciters who will do it.

EmJ

Sep 26, 2007
Scotland
Thanks for your help.

My granny organised POA a while ago and the documents are with the solicitor. She appointed joint attorneys in our family to support her with all areas of her care. It is not activated. We currently help her manage her money with a bank mandate. Do we have to activate the poa first before we go any further?

EmJ:)

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Hi,
Mine is registered both for my Dad ( we done that when my Mum had Dementia incase my Dad fell ill) and for my husband. I recently had to use it as my dad was in hospital. I had to take it into the bank even though i am registered as there was a problem. Social Services also have a copy of my husbands. This means i can sign forms etc. I believe as the family knows the person better than any stranger does having it registered gives you a say. The soliciter i had got it registered right away.

EmJ

Sep 26, 2007
Scotland
Thanks Chip. I will share the info with my family and hopefully we will be able to get something organised for my granny which is more suited to her needs.

My granny is still able to sign things and is quite good in many areas. It's just recently she has required a bit more support and we felt we may need to consider the direct payments option.

Take care,

EmJ :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mshaw6