direct payments advice needed

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
I need some advice. I need a carer in for a Sunday a long day approx 12hrs from 7.30 in the morning as the carer i have at the moment can't do that day. Can i use the direct payments i get for crossroads to see if they can help me out. I only get 10hrs a week direct payments.

Chip

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Chip
you can do as you wish within reason.
Do you mean that your carer cannot do the 12 hour day and that you have that money available?
If that is the case you the have the 10 funded hours available which you can use.
You will only be 2 hours funding short and I would think you have enough spare to fund that(£24)?
I hope you can understand this PM me if you wish.
Norman

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Dear Chip,
As Norman says: you can use your Direct Payments to employ anyone you wish (except a member of your family who lives at the same address), whenever it suits you best, but be warned: 10 hours / week is at the most basic rate. Some agencies charge more per hours than others, and rates vary quite a bit from weekdays daytime to evenings, Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays. Your 10 Sunday-hours may, therefore, make a big hole into your allowance, but perhaps you are able to 'save' a few hours during other weeks, or top up the Direct Payments with your own funds to cover your special Sunday.

I hope you can sort it out and that you will have an enjoyable day.

Just a thought: if you need cover for a special occasion, you may be able to get some funding from Social Services for yourself (as the carer). I am assuming that the Direct Payments are in place for your wife/partner.

Let us know how you get on.

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Just an update the Agency has sorted it out and got a guy carer to cover. Haven't met him yet but will find out tomorrow as the agency said they will introduce him.