Direct Payment

flowermaster

Jul 15, 2007
Suffolk UK
Hi, My husband 79yrs old has PD and Leweybodies 22yrs/8yrs at least. Now sleeps most of the time. I have carer's from agency through Social Services for which I pay £74 a week towards. This will not decrease I know. Carers 2 at 11 am to toilet,wash,shave,dress and bring into lounge, onto recliner chair. 2 at 5pm to put to bed. Have had this with changes in times for 18 months. Also have Crossroads sit for 2 1/2hrs twice a week. I have no relatives or friends that can do this caring so think thats why that although she sent me leaflet on DP, Social Worker did not seem enthusiastic. I'm to get in touch again Thurs, she only works Thurs and Fri. I'm fed up with the different carers, for instant 10 this week and some better than others and because of double up one waiting for the other. My husband has to be hoisted and they cannot have one alone. So would DP work for my situation.
Thanks Janet

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Janet, welcome to TP.

I don`t know enough about DP yet, but I`m sure there will be some who will be able to give a more informed opinion.

Even though I haven`t yet needed home care for my husband, I can well understand how frustrating it must be to have different people coming in, without notice.

There are certainly different calibres of carers, offering varied levels of care.

Even so, they are reliable, I presume, and if one is on sick leave, there would be someone to take their place. This would be my worry with having to organize my own carers. How could I ensure I would have a regular and reliable `army` of help.

Take care

flowermaster

Jul 15, 2007
Suffolk UK
Thanks Sylvia for reply,
Thats what I am thinking would I get some one reliable, but I do understand that I could still use the agency if I want . Can go back to Social Service if DP does not work. Thats what I understand from info. Trouble is it it worth the hassle of changing. Thats why I'd like the fors and against. You've made one good point thanks again.
Janet

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I have carer's from agency through Social Services for which I pay £74 a week towards.

Sorry I am a bit confused , you say that that you pay . So that mean you are self founded ?

I thought direct payment was pay if you are not self funded .

Or your paying half and social service paying the other half , so you can get DP ?

I don't op for Direct payment , as then I would be the employer and have to do all the paper work Tax, NI and account for every penny to SS , but I have read that they do train you .

I have read On TP that other people do like it , as it give them more option , in being able to ring other agency , or choice a friend

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Janet
we had direct payments for some time and it was a great help.
I think some SW do not want to push it because they are not too sure about it themdelves
The govenment recomends all SS to use it.
I think you need a re assessment ,determine you exact needs and the your SW can apply for funding.
Ideally you could employ a personal assistant for you husband.that way you would always have the same person.
The rest of the time you could still use crossroads,using the same people from there and crossroads would invoice you on a monthly basis.
There is help available from Penderals trust and others with the financial side.
Have a look at this fact sheet
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/After_diagnosis/Sorting_out_your_money/info_directpayments.htm
Hope this is helpful
Norman

flowermaster

Jul 15, 2007
Suffolk UK
Thanks for reply Margarita and Norman. I do only pay part SS pay other, same as when Doug goes into respite it is neary £700 a week, (I'm allowed 4 weeks a year) I pay £187-17 a week the SS the rest.
I thought that Norman the SW may not relish the thought of it. Trouble with getting things going is she only works Thurs and Fri but hopefully I think I am going to say go ahead on Thurs, will have to see then if I have to wait untill following Thurs. Crossroads said a lot of their clients use DP.
Margarita the idea of responsibilies of being an employer were what stopped me doing it originally, plus Doug appearing too be at last stages so many times.
What I under stand is, there is help through all of it, even advertising and interviewing for you.
It seems as if it is the way caring is going.
Will make up my mind Thurs for sure.
Janet

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Social Worker did not seem enthusiastic

Thinking about it , my Social was all for it when I was working , but when I gave up work she said I don't need it .

I use to find that my mother did not like so many different carer coming in all the time , so we suck with one , only thing with that she has other jobs so I have to work around her hours so she can fit all clients in that she work for.

also with DP you have more option to advertise for Just one carer to do all the hours you want , as long as she does not have other jobs or then your still in the situation like I am working around her hours .

My daughter keep saying that I could get my mother use to different carer , so it won't be an upset for her when , say carer I have now go on holiday or is ill or can't do the hours I want .

Does it upset your husband with so many different people coming going ?

Last edited:

flowermaster

Jul 15, 2007
Suffolk UK
Hello Margarita,
Doug is not always aware of different carers, when he is aggresive it's more what going on in his mind rather than against carer.
It's me that finds different carers a problem, one being later than another and because of 2 needed to hoist cannot do things untill other arrives. I found out last week they were putting Doug straight to bed, without on loo. No wonder they were putting down no BM. I had to insist on them recording that so I knew what was needed. He's had compaction problem in past . Tell so many then next week some one new. There have been other issues. Should be an hour am and 1/2 pm, this morning been and gone in 37 mins. I have supervisor looking into it again.
Your daughter could be right mam might even find a different carer more to her liking. It's just scary trying different things in case you rock the boat.
It would be easier to stay with agency and keep getting things sorted but would DP be better is my quandry.
Janet