Direct Payment Card

lacey1962

Jan 9, 2016
Crawley
Hi,

Mum receives direct payments for her care which I manage. The social worker wants me to change to a direct payment card instead of a bank account. Has anyone else got a card? How does it work?
Any info gratefully received.

Thank you

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @lacey1962, the schemes vary from authority to authority. Essentially a debit card instead of a cheque book - however, you need to ensure that providers that you use accept it (i.e. debit cards), although some allow a Direct Debit facility. Many have restrictions on cash withdrawals too. It also gives the Local Authority access to the online account to monitor transactions, thereby reducing the need for paper submissions. Ask for specific details of your authorities scheme. All the best.

lacey1962

Jan 9, 2016
Crawley
Hi @lacey1962, the schemes vary from authority to authority. Essentially a debit card instead of a cheque book - however, you need to ensure that providers that you use accept it (i.e. debit cards), although some allow a Direct Debit facility. Many have restrictions on cash withdrawals too. It also gives the Local Authority access to the online account to monitor transactions, thereby reducing the need for paper submissions. Ask for specific details of your authorities scheme. All the best.

Thank you Pete1