Dilemma

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
My Dad is 94,advanced AD.He has had a history of skin cancer,had surgery under local anaesthetic a few years ago and coped well.It has now referred and he has a referral to a cancer centre,radiotherapy has been mentioned.My brother and I don't see how he would cope,cancer is on his forehead,a mask will be required.We are going to arrange to see the consultant but have already stated that we don't want any heroic treatments.Has anyone any experience of cancer treatment for someone with advanced disease.Also psychiatrist saw him re agitation and has requested an ECG.Anyone with any idea why?I am away on holiday this week,really feel like going home but it's not fair on my husband

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
I have no personal experience of the masks for radiation but I know quite a few people who have and I understand it is a hard thing to do, I understand that children can be sedated but my thoughts are that may not be possible in your Dads situation.

With regards to his future care, could you ask for a referral to the McMillian nurses for some professional advice?

With regards to the ECG, it may be possible they need to check any medication will not interfere with his heart rate.

Please try to enjoy your holiday, you will have enough decisions to make later so try if you can to relax.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
I have no personal experience of the masks for radiation but I know quite a few people who have and I understand it is a hard thing to do, I understand that children can be sedated but my thoughts are that may not be possible in your Dads situation.

With regards to his future care, could you ask for a referral to the McMillian nurses for some professional advice?

With regards to the ECG, it may be possible they need to check any medication will not interfere with his heart rate.

Please try to enjoy your holiday, you will have enough decisions to make later so try if you can to relax.
Thanks for your reply,your point about ECG makes sense,also McMillan nurses.