Dilemma re Doc's Appointment

Chocco

Aug 9, 2021
So my OH has finally agreed to a doc's appointment which I managed to get for this Fri am. BUT he thinks he is suffering from side effects of the booster jab he had about 3 weeks ago which is why he is going.
His has scoured the leaflet that comes with the booster over and over and says his symtoms are shivers, foggy brain, achy joints and his legs are heavy with his thighs getting heated. I have noticed for awhile that he doesn't place his feet down properly and sometimes loses balance because of it.
He is about 2 years into mental decline with the last year worsening, the last 6 months bad and the last month even worse involving Capgras Syndrome. I am tempted to give the doc a heads up before the appointment but feel bad doing that, disloyal even.
I'll try to get in there with him but we havent got a regular doc, it's like pick n mix at our surgery!
Do you all think the doc will be able to suss for himself that there's more to it than just possible side effects of the booster?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i would make a bullet point list of symptoms and not rely on a doctor picking symptoms up. if he does host mode, there wont be anything for them to pick up. do and email before the appt so the doctor has read it before your husband goes in. the doctor may not be able to discuss things with you due to confidentiality. you are not betraying your husband or going behind his back but looking out for his wellbeing. you have your concerns so need to raise them.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If you have H&W LPA without the only valid if donor lacks capacity make sure the surgery have seen a copy before the appointment.
As said email the surgery before the appointment outlining your concerns, subject of email Choco OH appointment <time/date>.
Accompany him to the GP and hope your presence indicates OH's consent or GP asks directly.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
I would definitely give the gp's a heads up. I did it with mum when I was trying to get a diagnosis for her, wrote a letter outlining her symptoms, my concerns etc and took it to the surgery a couple of days before the appointment. To be fair her own doctor was the one that she had the appointment with, I didn't feel guilty doing that but would have felt guilty if I had had to explain it all on a face to face basis with Mum sitting there. We didn't have POA then but the doctor did advise us to get it done quickly.
Good luck

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I sent in a list of my concerns to my mum's GP, in fact I did it several times over various appointments. It was useful as mum could sound totally together, until the GP said 'And what's all this about your neighbours?' That led mum telling him all about how they broke into her flat to steal her card for the pharmacist so they could get her blood pressure tablets. He found it very hard to keep a straight face.
It probably is worth talking through all your husband's symptoms though, just in case there is something else going on as well.

JaxG

May 15, 2021
You need to let the doctor know what is really going on. You are not being disloyal, your OH has a serious illness that needs a diagnosis, and he is probably not able to get the help he needs himself because of the disease.

Chocco

Aug 9, 2021
Thanks everyone - as usual, a great help to me. I will let the doc know what has been happening before the appointment. Will let you all know what the outcome is. Thanks again!