Dilemma please help!!

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
About 6 weeks the day centre mum goes to phoned to say mum had chocked on her lunch! They said they would puree her food from now on. We rang the doctor (whos useless) and she said she'd contact the salt team. We have contacted the doctor a few times, including yesterday, she said she'd ring back in 20 mins but of course she never!! Now mums doctor has gone on holiday for 2 weeks and we still havent heard from the salt team. Tonight at tea mum chocked on her pureed tea and im scared now and dont know what to do? Can we ask for the salt teams number and speak to them directly? Dont know where to turn.

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
Why not call 111 if you are in the uk, or go noise and see if you can contact the Salt team direct. It may mean an out if hours doctor just rings you but they will be able to advise you and even contact the team if they think necessary. The price if a phone call is better for peace of mind. The worst they can say us they can't help, in which case ask them who can?

I would complain to the practice manager too about the useless doctor too, not good enough.

Hope you get some help.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Yes you can contact them directly if you are able to find their number. They prefer to get a referral by the GP because it means they get all the relevant medical details with it, but if there is no other way, call them and say it's an emergency. We had a visit last week by a very nice lady who said they try to prioritise dementia patients, and we didn't have to wait long at all (after our surgery had managed to fax the wrong department twice, but that's a different story).

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow
Hi, I know it's really scary-my dad chokes on his puréed meals/thickened fluids too. However, dad has been seen by doctor and salt team... I think maybe you should contact nhs24 and ask for advice too.( if in UK) I'm no expert, but other things can cause problems with swallowing, not just dementia,and your mum needs examined by a doctor. It's not good enough your doctor has left you both in this position...it's a frightening thing for you both to be experiencing. Take care. X

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If you contact SALT directly stress that it is not a speech problem but a problem with swallowing, chocking, and potentially food aspiration and that the GP suggested a SALT referral.

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
Yes you can contact them directly if you are able to find their number. They prefer to get a referral by the GP because it means they get all the relevant medical details with it, but if there is no other way, call them and say it's an emergency. We had a visit last week by a very nice lady who said they try to prioritise dementia patients, and we didn't have to wait long at all (after our surgery had managed to fax the wrong department twice, but that's a different story).
Thank you x

chelsea girl

Jan 25, 2015
Why not call 111 if you are in the uk, or go noise and see if you can contact the Salt team direct. It may mean an out if hours doctor just rings you but they will be able to advise you and even contact the team if they think necessary. The price if a phone call is better for peace of mind. The worst they can say us they can't help, in which case ask them who can?

I would complain to the practice manager too about the useless doctor too, not good enough.

Hope you get some help.

Thanks for reply. We have asked to change doctors but because mums is now away, nothing will happen for two weeks.