Digital photos frames -recommendations please

Crispball

Apr 4, 2016
My mother in law is in a care home with limited visiting and we would like to install a digital photo frame to regularly update photos of her great grandchildren. It has been suggested that a WiFi enabled frame would be best so we can upload photos remotely. Most of these frames only operate when connected to a mains supply. there are one or twp battery operated ones (which is the care homes prefered option) but I am having difficulty sourcing them. has anyone had any experience of purchasing one?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Crispball, this isn't something I've needed to research as my mother has very limited eyesight and even before she moved to a care home she couldn't really see pictures of family well enough to really understand what she was seeing. I do wonder if there isn't anyone there to prompt your MiL to look at the pictures and talk about them in the context of the family how much she'll get out of it.
This site is full of useful tech https://meetadam.co.uk/catalogue though I couldn't find exactly what you are after.
A quick Google search and a look at a big on-line retailer found quite a few. I didn't go the next step and try and order one, but I guess they might be in high demand at the moment.
I'm sure others will be along soon with their suggestions.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My brother bought my mum a digital photo frame and loaded it up with photos as a present. Mum had always been very keen on "gadgets" and he thought she would be over the moon with it.
Unfortunately, mum hated it. She found the constantly changing pictures of people unnerving and I was forever finding it face down so that she couldnt see it.

Your MIL might like it, but be prepared that she might not, so I would be inclined to go for a very cheap one and see how its received.

Crispball

Apr 4, 2016
My mother in law is in a care home with limited visiting and we would like to install a digital photo frame to regularly update photos of her great grandchildren. It has been suggested that a WiFi enabled frame would be best so we can upload photos remotely. Most of these frames only operate when connected to a mains supply. there are one or twp battery operated ones (which is the care homes prefered option) but I am having difficulty sourcing them. has anyone had any experience of purchasing one?
thank you Sarisa,
Unfortunately although there are photo albums in the home we arent able to update them regularly (we live over 100miles away) . I have looked at length at most of the frames on Google but very few of them are actually battery operated or have poor interfaces when you look at the fine print so other suggestions would be helpful.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
thank you Sarisa,
Unfortunately although there are photo albums in the home we arent able to update them regularly (we live over 100miles away) . I have looked at length at most of the frames on Google but very few of them are actually battery operated or have poor interfaces when you look at the fine print so other suggestions would be helpful.
I'm not sure these frames work well for people with dementia. Maybe posting a new photo every week would help or making up photo books which are very reasonably priced and a carer could go through the book with her. I used to email photos regularly to Mum. The carers would print them out and put them up on the wardrobe doors . You can put some text on the bottom of the photo so the carers and your Mum have something to talk about . Just a thought Susan

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I know this isn’t what you’re looking for but I wondered if anyone would find it useful. There’s a talking photo album on this page from Alzheimer Scotland -

A couple of digital photo frames appear here -

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
We got a digital photo frame a few years ago when they first became popular. My wife barely looked at it and it was soon put away in a box with family photos that she has no interest in. Ours has a slot for an SD card and that is how photos were loaded to the device. I'm sure that ones like this are still available. Ones for use with USB would be another possibility. You would need to check if the care home would be prepared to do it but one solution for updating photos would be to send a new SD card or USB stick for the staff to insert in the slot (taking the old one out first). As other have said, there is no saying how your mother might react to it or whether she would take any notice.

Crispball

Apr 4, 2016
thank you everybody for your suggestions,
M in law would watch slideshows on an Ipad before we she went into the home. The staff will print off the photos and letters with her but we are looking for something she can hold with some movement to hold her attention so will probably try a talking photo frame first.

AwayWithTheFairies

Apr 21, 2021
My MIL doesn’t have dementia and is very techie, but even she she soon lost interest in this item, and it ended up in the charity chop via a drawer- though she loves the screensaver on her computer which cycles endlessly with many ancient photos of the grandkids. Since they are now 18 and 20 there are a hella lotta photos. They were super humiliated this horrible distancing Xmas on a family zoom to have them shown for 20 minutes to the whole family including distant in-laws one of who yawned loudly.