Difficulty sitting in chairs

Cymbaline

Aug 23, 2007
Hi all. I'm wondering if any of you has a solution to a recent problem that has cropped up chez Cymbaline.

My mum who has Alzheimer's is starting to have trouble sitting up straight(ish) in a chair. When she's sat into a chair she's OK for a while, then she starts sliding down towards the edge of her seat. It's some feat - I tried sliding out of one of sitting room chairs and I couldn't do it because it's covered in that sort of carpety material.

When she's in daycare, they put her into a chair that has a seat that's quite low. That works fine but then she needs two people to pull her out and that's not an option because my dad is frequently on his own with my mum. He's raised the issue with the nurse who calls to our house and she's not too sure what to suggest. All she did say is that you're not allowed to strap someone in anymore because some man choked to death.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi Cymbaline, do understand the problem.

Went through this with Lionel, and for a while managed with a "one way slide sheet". This was a double sided continuous piece of fabric which sat on the chair as a thin cushion.

Purchased our from the local mobility shop. Hope this helps.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Cymbaline

John has the same problem. In his case it's because he really wants to be horizontal, but they're trying to keep him upright as much as possible. He has ended up on the floor so many times.

In the NH they tend to pack cushions down the sides of the chairs of those who slide, so that they're wedged in. It also hepls with those who flop to the side.

I don't know id this would help with your mum?

janetruth

Mar 20, 2007
nuneaton
We put a V shaped pillow om Mums lap so the ends go under her and she rests her elbows,this seems to stop her slipping down and falling forwards.
Hope I have described it enough, for you to follow.
Janetruth x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Cymbaline,

Does your mother have an OT, or can you get in touch with one. You might find a solution there.

strawberrywhip

Jun 26, 2006
kent
I was going to suggest an OT...they are wonderful and can look at the house. and suggest all sorts of aids that might be uiseful.
Have you seen those rise and recline chairs? I think if the need is great in some parts of the country the OTs can apply to get one for you if there assesment suggests it is needed...not sure if it is means tested.