Difficulty focusing.

janjan

Jan 27, 2006
Birmingham
I haven't been logging in for the past two weeks, because my 19yr old was diagnosed with diabetes type 1.
So things was a bit hectic at home, so i didn't get to see dad for two weeks.
Well i had a shock when i went to see him Sunday, he doesn't seem to be able to focus very well now. I know he recognised me from my voice before he was able to see me.
Also when i sat opposite him he kept putting his two hands in front of him to where i assumed he was looking at my face, when i asked him if he was having a job to focus he said yes, [ i can only get the odd word out of him now so it is hard to understand what he is feeling]. I usually find out whats the matter by elimination, or yes or no answers.
He as been blinking his eyes erratically for the past year or so, but it gradually as got worse over the last few months.
Also he was looking in his mirror in his room while i was there, which i have never seen him do before. Mom went to see him today and she said he wandered off up on his own to the day room without her, and on the way there is a long hall mirror on a wall, and he was standing in front of it which we have not seen him do before. She thought well i'll go now, so she went off to the front door to wait for someone to let her out ,when dad walked straight past her. It upset her alot to think he didnt know it was her there, but i said i dont think he can focus anymore, not that he didn't see her.
I am going to see dad tomorow, it is worrying me because he i didnt think that he would be suffering with some sort of blindness, i was expecting him to lose the use of his legs, so it has come as another shock.
Any ideas what it is,an how i can help him understand his difficulties. :confused: Janet.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Janjan
I have the same problem with my Peg.
I did worry about her sight and found a very good optician who understood dementia.
He said it is her focus which is the problem and the problem is from the part of the brain concerned with focus.
There is no solution.
She now has cataracts so her sight is even worse now.
What acruel thing the disease is.
Norman

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Jan,

Like Norman, I was going to suggest your dad may have cataracts. Also the focus does seem to go. My husband still reads the paper, and watches TV, but if I point anything out to him, he doesn`t seem to know where to look.

Has your dad seen an optician lately? Even if he is unable to complete a sight test, the optician will be able to detect cataracts.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
janjan said:
I haven't been logging in for the past two weeks, because my 19yr old was diagnosed with diabetes type 1.
Janet.

My 18 year old son has type one diabetes. He was diagnosed nearly 3 years ago. It has taken me a long time to come to terms with it, and I'm not convinced I ever will! However, if you have any questions and want to pm me, then I will do the best I can to help. If I don't know an answer, I am sure I will know someone who does! I belong to a couple of online support groups which have been of immense help, so can always point you in that direction.

Take care

janjan

Jan 27, 2006
Birmingham
Brenda, quick reply, because i have to go to work today. Thanks i will pm you if i need any advice. Looking on the bright side he was going traveling for three months in a weeks time so we found out before he left the country thank god.
I too don't think i will come to terms with it easily, no one in the family is diabetic so it was so out the blue. He is handling it well, and the moment.
Thanks for all your replies, I'm off to see dad after work, going to see nurse to see if we can get his eyes looked at if we can.
P.S Brenda traveling on hold till next year. Janet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba