difficulties with social services

Nannylean

Jun 26, 2019
Hi all. My mum has early stage Alzheimer's and lives in housing association flat in Cardiff. Her partner has recently passed and the dementia has worsened since this. No family are close as we all live in Bristol (approx. 1 hour away). She wants to move to Bristol to be close to family and we have looked at assisted living accommodation for her.

The issue is that as she isn't currently living in Bristol the city council cannot deal with the request for her to move as this needs to come from Cardiff. The Cardiff social worker has been to assess mum and says she doesn't have sufficient support needs as she has shown that she is capable of making a meal etc and can be supported at her current flat! Although she is capable of cooking she leaves the oven on and often doesn't bother and is living on cuppa soup so is losing weight dramatically. She is also so confused and lonely.

Has anyone any advice on how we move this on. She wants to be in Bristol and will be able to pay for her accommodation but Bristol City council cannot deal until Cardiff agrees to move her over?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Nannylean
a warm welcome to DTP

sounds as though you have done the right thing in contacting Social Services ... I am not sure why the level of your mum's care needs should be a factor in moving, maybe ask the SW's manager to explain in writing

as the SW has said your mum can be supported in her current flat, personally, while the move is being looked into, I would accept all the support on offer in the hope that it will help your mum but also prove that her needs are at a much higher level than the SW has so far assessed, in other words give evidence for the appropriateness of a move

maybe keep a journal and record any incidents that concern you, with info on your mum's daily routine, what she has difficulty in doing for herself and any help given ... that way you will have documented the reasons more support and a move would be appropriate

also, do arrange LPAs for your mum, so her Attorneys have legal Authority to help her manage her affairs
https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa