Difficult behaviour at night time

Jozway

Apr 27, 2019
My dad (87, we think stage 6 dementia) has started over the last month, waking up 2-3 times in the night, with a kind of panic attack. He sits up and his arms and legs go rigid, he breathes really rapidly and we have had to call the paramedics to check it out, as it's really difficult to get him calm. After help he eventually calms down. The other thing that happens is that he also rips or tears his night clothing - so he is very strong and this seems quite an aggressive form of behaviour. My question is whether other people have experience of this? And is there anything we can try to do in the lead up to him going to bed to maybe settle him down very deeply so that he sleeps through the night?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Jozway
a warm welcome to DTP
that's a worry for you and no doubt affecting your sleep as well as your dad's
maybe have a word with his GP to check there's nothing untoward going on, no pain, and maybe some meds would help settle him
you could certainly try some of the nighttime herbal infusions, as long as none of the ingredients clash with any of your dad's medication, or a warm milk drink eg Horlicks

Georgina63

Aug 11, 2014
HI @Jozway, sorry to hear this. My Mum was recently prescribed Mirtazapine to help with night terrors. As mentioned, a review with GP or Mental Health Team if they are involved in your Dad's care would be good.
Also, my Dad has been prescribed an anti-psychotic, Risperidone which has helped with aggressive behaviour and seems to have a positive effect on sleep pattern too.

Jozway

Apr 27, 2019
hello @Jozway
a warm welcome to DTP
that's a worry for you and no doubt affecting your sleep as well as your dad's
maybe have a word with his GP to check there's nothing untoward going on, no pain, and maybe some meds would help settle him
you could certainly try some of the nighttime herbal infusions, as long as none of the ingredients clash with any of your dad's medication, or a warm milk drink eg Horlicks
Thank you for your reply - these are helpful suggestions. We have spoken with the GP and he's had various tests to show there's nothing untoward at the moment but to monitor it.

Jozway

Apr 27, 2019
HI @Jozway, sorry to hear this. My Mum was recently prescribed Mirtazapine to help with night terrors. As mentioned, a review with GP or Mental Health Team if they are involved in your Dad's care would be good.
Also, my Dad has been prescribed an anti-psychotic, Risperidone which has helped with aggressive behaviour and seems to have a positive effect on sleep pattern too.
Hi @Georgina - thank you for sharing your experience. We have spoken with the GP who suggested that we monitor how things go for the moment. It may be that drugs will be necessary over time and so it's helpful to hear what drugs you have had experience with.

Don T

Jun 28, 2017
May be more useful for other readers, I don’t think we are at stage six but we have a set of steps that help settle my wife. First we have ice cream, normally around 10 or 11, then decaf coffee at 12 or 01, the final card to play is weetabix, cause it’s good for iron. Then hopefully sleep.

Ray96

Sep 29, 2018
My mother became very aggressive particularly in the later stages, we found that Mirtazipine worked very well before bed, its was a better option than the anti-psychotic drugs. She would fall asleep straight away, her mood improved and her appetite. This drug does not work for everyone but you could have a talk with your GP.