Difference in care.

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
I have posted in recent times about my husbands diagnosis of mixed dementia and the worry about obtaining appropriate support and care.

It appeared to me that dementia patients were sent away to sort things out for themselves.
I have recently discussed the possibility that my husband also had cancer.

Sadly , liver cancer has now been diagnosed and he has deteriorated rapidly within the last month.
The difference in his standard of care is remarkable.
Within the last week, he has had a home visit from the duty doctor from the surgery. Almost impossible these days.
The following day his own G.P. rang to see how I was and spent a good amount of time explaining everything to me.
He has arranged for a District Nurse, another endangered species, to call in to take a blood test from him next week.
He has also referred us to the local Hospiscare service and this morning a bag of medication for the nurses to use has been delivered.

Even through the upset and grief I am now finding a sense of relief has settled upon me.

I have some very supportive friends and neighbours and I am very grateful for them but nothing can beat the feeling of having proper medical support.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Having the proper support certainly makes a massive difference and I'm glad that you are getting it.
Take care and sending some hugs your way

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I'm sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis, but am so glad you are getting good support from the GP and other services. As you say, it is often a very different story when trying to find support for dementia.