Differed cost for care.

JC51

Jan 5, 2021
Can anyone give me some advice? If my Wife is well below the figures for paying for care home costs and a council finance assessment said they would pay part, would a defered agreement have to be made?
I would still be living in our house, so it would be disregarded.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @JC51
as you say, as long as you live in the house it is disregarded, so you don't need to enter into a deferred payment agreement

if the LA are contributing to your wife's care fees, they will let you know what amount she will have to contribute and this is taken from her income (state pension, Attendance Allowance and other income) and savings (plus half any joint savings) only, ie not yours
when her savings reach the £14250 limit, the AA will cease and your wife's income will be taken except a personal expenses allowance of £23.50 a week ... if she has a private pension, half is 'gifted' to you

JC51

Jan 5, 2021
Thank you so much for your quick reply. That’s taken a weight off my shoulders.

JC51

Jan 5, 2021
One more thing my son just asked me, our house is in joint names, so even though there would be no deffered plan as I would still be living here, what would happen if I died while my wife was still in care? The hose would then be hers legally, so would the council have to be informed, and stop paying their share of the costs.
Forgot to say I’m in Wales.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @JC51
as I understand it, you are correct ... if the house becomes your wife's property only it is considered her asset and available for paying her care fees

it may be at that point your son could ask the LA about a deferred payment, if he is her Attorney

this may help

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
our house is in joint names, .. what would happen if I died while my wife was still in care? The hose would then be hers legally
Only if the joint ownership is as joint tenants, if is as tenants in common you can will your share to A N Other.

You can sever joint tenancy without her agreement by serving notice, you only have to give her the document, what she does with it doesn't matter, probably best to get somebody sign a statement that you gave her the notice of severance. Also applies in Wales.

It's not deprivation of assets, both before and after severance she owned half the house.

JC51

Jan 5, 2021
What would happen if my wife had passed away, no deferred payment agreement had been made, and then a number of years later I passed away?
The house would have been willed to my sons, would the council still come for any costs?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
All the while you are living in the house it is completely disregarded in view of funding your wifes care if she moves into a care home. Therefore it is not considered part of her assets and there will be no need for deferred payments (because there will be no payments with respect to the house) and even after her death, so long as you are still living there, there will be no outstanding payments on the house.
If you died before your wife then her share of the house will become part of her assets at that point and she would probably become self-funding, but the period when you were living there will still be disregarded and the payments will not be back-dated.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi @JC51
if your wife moves into residential care and dies before you, that's it as far as payment of her care fees goes .... the house was disregarded, the LA do not come asking for any payment after her death

maybe it will help to chat this over with someone in real time ... calll the Support Line

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
What would happen if my wife had passed away, no deferred payment agreement had been made, and then a number of years later I passed away?
The house would have been willed to my sons, would the council still come for any costs?
No