Diet

Ron Lowe

Apr 27, 2003
Worcester
My wife has had Alzheimers for approximatley 3 years she has just changed medication from Aricept to Ebixa, she is not on full dossage yet but i am currently reading a book called (OPTIMUM NUTRITION FOR THE MIND By Patrick Holford). This basically gives ways of help by diet the book itself is very complicated and i feel if anyone has explored this avenue wheter there is some diet sheets available that i could follow . The transfer to the new medication has brought a deteration in her ability to coordinate with regard to walking.
Any experiances or advice would be welcome.

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Ron,

firstly, I hope someone can pass on more information to help you out with information regarding the walking and diet issues.

But I just thought I'd pass on my comments. Now I thought Ebixa is supposed to help with cordination difficulties and the following link describes this as a postive feature of the drug:

Ebixa Information

Also found this article which you may find of interest:

Alzheimers Diet Info

I hope someone pipes up with more specific help
Kind Regards
Craig

Meldrew

Apr 28, 2003
London
Ebixa/diet

Hello Ron
Sorry to learn that your wife is having a poor reaction to Ebixa - perhaps there could be another underlying medical reason? or if she is also on another medication the combination of drugs could cause adverse effects, dizziness is a recognised side effect that some people experience when taking Ebixa - probably best to get this checked by her doctor if you haven't done so already.

With regard to diet. I suggest you approach this with some caution. There are all sorts of unsubstantiated claims about what particular diets and/or dietary supplements can do and these are based on some pretty ropey research - if any research at all. Generally, if you scratch the surface, you'll find that the person writing about them has a vested interest in marketing them too.

Whilst there is emerging research to suggest that diet and lifestyle factors linked to heart disease are increasingly important in minimising the risk of dementia the claim that Alzheimer's is largely a preventable disease is misleading.

Generally speaking, in terms of diet, the usual sort of 'healthy diet' rules apply. A healthy diet being only as healthy as the food that is actually eaten. You could try asking your gp surgery if there is a dietician/ nutriotionist, to whom your wife could be referred to get some sound and practical advice.

It is sometimes helpful to give vitamin supplements to people in the later stages of dementia, but it would be best to speak to your wife’s doctor first. He or she will be able to advise you on which supplements, if any, might be best for her.
The Royal College of Psychiatrist website has some handy qs&as about eating http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/college/faculty/dementia/four/five.htm

hope that's of some help

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger