Did it start with anxiety?

Rosie Apple

Aug 2, 2020
Dorset
Hi
I'm a new member. My husband received a diagnosis of vascular dementia a week ago, so it's still early days for us, on what could be a long journey. I am already grateful to have found such a wealth of advice and support here.

I was very interested to read about the first signs that people noticed of their loved ones dementia. I felt like shouting 'Yesss...' to everything I was reading!

My OH has been on medication for anxiety for about 5 years which just got worse and worse , each 'worry' was more irrational than the previous one. Then I started to notice some confusion too. He still has a good memory, which I believe is often the case with vascular.

I just wondered if anyone knows how common it is for anxiety to be the first symptom?

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I don't know if anxiety would be the first symptom but I think it is a fairly common early one. Yes, the worry can be quite irrational but pointing that out won't get you brownie points.

Have you spoken to his doctor regarding a possible change in medication?

Rosie Apple

Aug 2, 2020
Dorset
Thank you for the suggestion,Joanne. The doctor from the Assessment Service said he would recommend changing the medication to our G.P. Maybe my next step must be to contact him . At the moment the anxiety is the biggest problem for him. He has been saying for ages that he knows there is something wrong, so actually having a diagnosis has been almost a bit of a relief. At least we know what is happening now and can start to try and deal with it.