Did anyone see Murphy's law?

Gromit

Apr 3, 2006
Edinburgh
Hi everyone,
Last week there was a 3 part series called Murphy's law (actor James Nesbit)- basically an undercover cop drama (quite brutal - had to cover my eyes and ask hubby when I could look at the tv again so may not have been everyone's cup of tea). Anyway, it had an underlying story about the cop character - his Mum has some form of dementia and it showed how his Dad wasn't able to cope looking after her anymore and the heartache of her going into care.

There wasn't a great deal of focus on it - but it did show what I think are firsts on a TV programme - references to his Mum saying "I want to go home" whilst she was at home - and obviously again when she went into care.
Also a brief violent outbreak (slapped her son across the face and told him off). Losing her necklace. It showed how his dad was very upset about not being able to care for her. And it showed how difficult it was for the cop character being away from home. It was very moving at the end (won't say anything in case you haven't seen it and get to watch it - be warned though the key story line is quite disturbing).

I wondered whether anyone saw this - my Dad hasn't been diagnosed yet - but has some STM problems - so without first hand experience I'm not sure if it was a good potrayal or not (my learning from TP - no two situations seem to be the same but some do have similarities). But if it is a good portrayal it would be great that the media are starting to improve? Plus again - a bit more publicity can't be a bad thing (as long as it is the right type and for the right reasons???).

Anyway - just wondered if anyone else saw it, and would be interested in your views.

Apologies if you have already discussed this - I tried a search on the TP forum but didn't find it anywhere.

All the best
Gromit.
x

Bets

Aug 11, 2005
South-East London, UK
I started watching it and thought the scene of the cop feeding his mother was very poignant and how, with the best will in the world, he thought his mother would recognise him from the photo of his young self he had stuck to his forehead.
Much too logical! However, the main storyline was so violent I had to switch it off so didn't see the later scenes.

Bets

Gromit

Apr 3, 2006
Edinburgh
Bets

Not suprised you had to turn it off - it was a bit too violent for me too - though the story line was excellent and I like the actor - I was held in suspense watching over the 3 nights (I say watching it - I had my eyes covered mostly and listened to it!!! Even my hubby was cringing!).

However, the story of his Mother I thought was done very well - great for raising awareness of Alz if the viewing public could stomach the main story line. I believe that Murphy's Law has huge ratings - so perhaps it has reached out to many.

thanks for your post.

G
x

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
he thought his mother would recognise him from the photo of his young self he had stuck to his forehead.

Sorry but do feel like laughing when you said that it is my humour, but what I would love to know did it work? Just got to add there is know logic when it come to dementia so Sound like to me a really good idea lol

I would do anything when my mum gets to that stage of not knowing me

Not my type of film but if know one tell answer my question I shall have to get the film just to see that part and what happens :rolleyes: :)

Last edited:

Bets

Aug 11, 2005
South-East London, UK
Hi Margarita,

No, the photo on the head didn't work. The mother got very angry and demanded that he take it off, then slapped him and said she didn't like people taking her things. Two seconds later, as her son continues to feed her, she is eating and smiling sweetly, the incident instantly forgotten.

Bets

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Oh Bless how sweet that told him :)

Thanks for shareing

another of my PM :rolleyes:

On TV shows it show you how people can transform them self with makeup artist in to someone completely different, how about when a love a love one with AD gets to the stage that they do not know your all you do is go on the internet send a photo of your younger days then someone makes a mask of you that you slip on over your face .

Oh its just my imagination

Last edited:

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Gromit

My son (who wants to be 'a cop' and would therefore watch anything crime related pre- or post-watershed if we'd let him) actually told me about the planned storyline in Murphy's Law... for the first time in a long time, he didn't beg to watch ..... 'Mum, can we not switch the telly on and keep seeing something about Grandma?' ......

I wonder if 'Joe Public' has reached the same 'saturation point'?????

Just a thought...

Love, Karen, x

mandyp

Oct 20, 2004
Glasgow
I watched and I enjoy Murphys Law, it's generally quite violent with 'gritty' story lines, however I did think they handled the AD aspect very well.

They didn't gloss over the unpleasantness of AD, so I reckon any exposure is good.

Being honest, I rarely watch TV because it's largely drivel and I can't bear all the reality TV nonsense (Big Brother, dodgy workmen, people hanging about airports, Love Island.....argh, makes me want to scream!)

A gripping story line beats most of the dross inflicted on us, although I agree that Murphy's Law isn't everyone's cup of tea.....more drama would suit me.

Gromit

Apr 3, 2006
Edinburgh
Agree with you Mandyp

Totally agree that reality TV etc has had its day - too much of it - and don't we all have enough of our own realities to deal with without getting embroiled in the ones on TV. I tend to buy DVD box sets these days and watch those (when I can). Especially dramas.

I thought Murphy's Law was very good (if a bit violent) - but the AD coverage on it I thought was spot on. It was portrayed very well and sensitively but without hiding any of the truths - and it was the impact shown on the husband and son that really got to me. I don't know how I would cope if I my Dad didn't know who I was.

It also showed two care homes - one was dreadful and the other was good - so this too was highlighted.

By the way - Rebus is back on the TV (Edinburgh detective) - I highly recommend (he's a character from Ian Rankin novels - also recommend) - so lots of lovely views of Edinburgh on the tv and around the areas where I live!!!! Wish I had seen them filming I could have tried to get in the background and give you all a wave!!!

Take care all

G
x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'll have to look out for these - we do get english TV programmes over the pond (thank goodness for BBC America) although it's normally several months or more later. Personally I mostly get UK TV programmes from Netflix (an online DVD rental company) although my daughter has taken to complaining about my choices ("how many detective series set in the 30's and 40's are there?" I do tend to like my murder domestic and at a distance of years.

Jennifer