Diagnosis?

Tessi

Aug 9, 2014
Yesterday I took my mum to her mental health appointment with the consultant, who said that as she has been attending for almost a year, it was time they made a diagnosis and that she has mild to moderate Alzheimer's and also vascular dementia. What does this actually mean now that they've made this diagnosis? Is it so that they can start giving the right medication. The consultant said she can give her tablets to help her memory.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Strange it took them so long! People with Alzheimer's and mixed dementia which is what your Mum has can be given certain medication that others can't. The most common one is Aricept which is sold under the name Donepezil. She would typically start on 5mg for four weeks and if no major side effects crop up the dosis will be increased to 10mg. Most people tolerate it well.

With a diagnosis you can also start receiving help from the Alzheimer's Society and ask Social Services for a needs assessment.

Think about encouraging her to get her affairs in order with Lasting Power of Attorney and a will. You'll regret it if you leave it too long!

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
I would also start getting an understanding of her affairs a little bit at a time. Tell her you are doing your own and does she want help with hers. A white board or list of important phone numbers somewhere - gas/electric supplier, boiler service, etc. If you do it for your own house she wont feel so bad about it for herself. Find out where the water turns off - I have a whole saga around that one!

Start to look at trip hazards around the house before you get to that point. Its something positive you can do now. Also have fun with your Mum and make some memories while she wants to go out. If there are old family photos find out who people are and make an album up. Take copies of precious documents and photographs.

My mum was stable and settled for year without much trouble when she was first diagnosed and had medication. Try not to worry and just tackle problems as they come. Everyone with or without dementia in their life could do that better - live in the now. None of us can predict the future.

Tessi

Aug 9, 2014
Strange it took them so long! People with Alzheimer's and mixed dementia which is what your Mum has can be given certain medication that others can't. The most common one is Aricept which is sold under the name Donepezil. She would typically start on 5mg for four weeks and if no major side effects crop up the dosis will be increased to 10mg. Most people tolerate it well.

With a diagnosis you can also start receiving help from the Alzheimer's Society and ask Social Services for a needs assessment.

Think about encouraging her to get her affairs in order with Lasting Power of Attorney and a will. You'll regret it if you leave it too long!

Hi Beate

Thanks for reply. I think the reason for the delay in diagnosis has been because they were trying to help with her depression first, but she is very wary of the antidepressants and has had a very on/off relationship with them. Things seem to be moving on a bit now and her memory has certainly worsened in the last three months.

Tessi

Aug 9, 2014
I would also start getting an understanding of her affairs a little bit at a time. Tell her you are doing your own and does she want help with hers. A white board or list of important phone numbers somewhere - gas/electric supplier, boiler service, etc. If you do it for your own house she wont feel so bad about it for herself. Find out where the water turns off - I have a whole saga around that one!

Start to look at trip hazards around the house before you get to that point. Its something positive you can do now. Also have fun with your Mum and make some memories while she wants to go out. If there are old family photos find out who people are and make an album up. Take copies of precious documents and photographs.

My mum was stable and settled for year without much trouble when she was first diagnosed and had medication. Try not to worry and just tackle problems as they come. Everyone with or without dementia in their life could do that better - live in the now. None of us can predict the future.

Yes definitely, yesterday she could not remember my name which seems bizarre but is no doubt just the beginning.

Tessi

Aug 9, 2014
Yes definitely, yesterday she could not remember my name which seems bizarre but is no doubt just the beginning.

Consultant is also arranging for a nurse to go out and talk to her to explain things to her in a more "gentle" way and about tablets. My grandma had severe dementia and my mum has always been frightened of it happening to her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R