Diagnosis ?

CASS33

Nov 12, 2018
Southampton
Hi,
My daughter is being tested for young onset dementia. T is only 34, she has two daughters 10 & 13 who. T has been living with me for a few weeks now as the girls and her husband are finding the change in her very hard to cope with. None of us had any idea that someone so young could suffer from this. I'm just hoping against hope that we will be told it isn't y.o.d but we have been told to prepare our selves.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I hope things are not as bad as they sound @CASS333 and the warning to prepare yourselves is using the worst case scenario.

Last edited:

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I am sorry to hear that you and the family have this a worry to deal with, and with your daughter being so young too. It is good that T is undergoing the necessary tests to get a clear diagnosis of what she is dealing with.

I hope the news is better than you have been prepared for - but we are here to help and support you as much as we can.

CASS33

Nov 12, 2018
Southampton
I hope things are not as bad as they sound @CASS333 and the warning to prepare yourselves is using the worst case scenario.
Thank you Sylvia. I've never known time to drag so long. Some times I think I't will be easier when we have a diagnosis even if its the worst but then at least we have hope at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hi @CASS33 sorry to hear you are all going through such a stressful time & even more so with your daughter being so young. Do you mind if I ask what tests she’s having? A SPECT scan would be the best & would hopefully give you all the answers you need.
When I was finally diagnosed with early onset dementia this year it came initially as a relief to finally have an answer so I can appreciate how you all must feel.
Wishing you all the very best.

CASS33

Nov 12, 2018
Southampton
Hi @CASS33 sorry to hear you are all going through such a stressful time & even more so with your daughter being so young. Do you mind if I ask what tests she’s having? A SPECT scan would be the best & would hopefully give you all the answers you need.
When I was finally diagnosed with early onset dementia this year it came initially as a relief to finally have an answer so I can appreciate how you all must feel.
Wishing you all the very best.
Thank you for your kind words, T has had a MRI plus a CAT scan, last week she had a memory test which lasted about four hours. I will ask about the SPECT scan. T is already having trouble finding words she needs and doesn't remember what she's been told. T used to make and decorate wedding cakes, last week when she wanted to make a cake for visitors she's couldn't even remember how to measure the ingredients. It's hart braking.

WA123

Jan 20, 2018
My husband was diagnosed a year ago at the age of 58 which seemed very young to us but obviously not in the same league as your daughter. He had all the things you describe in your daughter and I thought my world had come to an end. What I will say though is that I have worked and worked at strategies so that 12 months on he is almost back to the man I married and is better mentally than he has been for years. The dementia hasn't gone away obviously but at the moment life is so much better than it was in the run up to the diagnosis and we're having fun again. Have private messaged you as well.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
My husband was diagnosed a year ago at the age of 58 which seemed very young to us but obviously not in the same league as your daughter. He had all the things you describe in your daughter and I thought my world had come to an end. What I will say though is that I have worked and worked at strategies so that 12 months on he is almost back to the man I married and is better mentally than he has been for years. The dementia hasn't gone away obviously but at the moment life is so much better than it was in the run up to the diagnosis and we're having fun again. Have private messaged you as well.
Hi @WA123 we've been the same trying to make plans & enjoy life to the full. Do you mind me asking what type of dementia your husband has? Wishing you all the best.

WA123

Jan 20, 2018
Hi @WA123 we've been the same trying to make plans & enjoy life to the full. Do you mind me asking what type of dementia your husband has? Wishing you all the best.

The diagnosis was 'mixed' which means I think that they don't know! I floundered for the first three months but gradually worked out there must be a better way. I write a daily blog where, most of the time, I focus on the positives. I'm not a saint and life is never all positive anyway so I don't fret if things aren't going perfectly but have worked out that I need to learn from the difficult moments and try not to repeat whatever I did at that point. This seems to work and we keep having breakthroughs which make it all worthwhile. the blog is www.memoryfortwo.com if you want to have a look.

Teddy1960

Oct 24, 2018

Teddy1960

Oct 24, 2018
Hi lovely, I would love to buddyup with you if you would have me......... My husband has just been diagnosed at 57. I would welcome any advice as how you got to the stage you arevst now. At the moment all we seem to do us bicker and there is so much to sort isn't there? I suppose we are where you were 12 months ago . Take care xx

WA123

Jan 20, 2018
Hi lovely, I would love to buddyup with you if you would have me......... My husband has just been diagnosed at 57. I would welcome any advice as how you got to the stage you arevst now. At the moment all we seem to do us bicker and there is so much to sort isn't there? I suppose we are where you were 12 months ago . Take care xx

Very happy to buddy up. have messaged you.