Diagnosis

paulfoel

Sep 18, 2018
Dad is 84. He doesn't seem to have any issues at all with memory and seems bright as a button - sometimes too bright!

But sometimes its as if he lives on another planet and has no concept or care for anyone else in the world. Hes turned very very stubborn, very selfish etc.

His behaviour can be difficult to understand at times. Hes a very hard person to help because hes so awkward.

When hes ill, I worry. He went through a phase of phoning 999, calling GP out etc. Both now refuse to come. He just would not agree with what they said to him.

I've spoken to GP about my concerns but they've done nothing. Especially when he was pretty much calling them every day or two.

Just wanted to see if dementia might be an issue to be honest.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @paulfoel, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum a friendly and supportive place.

It's a common misconception that a bad memory is what dementia is all about. Some forms of dementia do not manifest with memory issues in the early stages so you are right to be concerned.

I feel it's important to get a diagnosis and that starts with the GP so I would persevere there. Maybe try another GP at the surgery if that's possible as some may be more aware of dementia than others.

It may be worth your while looking at the Publications list to research the various types of dementia and you can find that with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list