Diagnosis of vascular dementia after a stroke

Katiep1607

Sep 10, 2020
Hi,
I am new to this forum and am very pleased I have found it as there seems to be so much support, which is great,

I had a quick question relating to the diagnosis of vascular dementia post stroke. I have read that 1 in 5 people will go on to develop vascular dementia after a stroke. I was wondering how they can differentiate between post stroke effects and dementia? Do they use different tests or do they just listen to what the family are saying about symptoms? My Mother has had an MRI and will be having cognitive testing on 24 September. my father and I are her main carers and we will be going to the appointment. However, having been with Mum before for the kind of cognitive and memory testing that they do to diagnose dementia a few years ago after a fall and head injury, I think lots of those tests she would not be able to complete well due to the effects of the stroke. Back then they said there was no dementia but after the stroke she has had very bad memory impairment and aphasia and I wonder how they will know if its dementia or just those things?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Katiep1607
a warm welcome to DTP

it's good that you and your father will be going with your mother to the appointment

the consultant will want your input as it should form part of the overall picture to help with a diagnosis

I suggest you and your father each, separately, make notes of the changes you have noticed in your mother, giving some specific examples if you can, along with all your concerns for her ... then maybe compare what each of you has written, and either send the combined notes to the consultant to be read before the appointment, or take them with you

Katiep1607

Sep 10, 2020
hello @Katiep1607
a warm welcome to DTP

it's good that you and your father will be going with your mother to the appointment

the consultant will want your input as it should form part of the overall picture to help with a diagnosis

I suggest you and your father each, separately, make notes of the changes you have noticed in your mother, giving some specific examples if you can, along with all your concerns for her ... then maybe compare what each of you has written, and either send the combined notes to the consultant to be read before the appointment, or take them with you
Thank you, yes I am working on a document that I update every few days with things we have noticed. We have been keeping a daily diary of how she is.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
theres changes in the brain with vascular dementia as well as the memory test my husband has vascular dementia as well following a clot in the heart and a mini stroke. the blood vessels in the brain narrow so not so much oxygen can go there which damages the brain. he had mri scan as well. vascular dementia is all about the blood vessels and supply of blood

Katiep1607

Sep 10, 2020
Thank you, from her medical history and the symptoms and decline we are noticing I think the diagnosis is inevitable but I don't want to make too many assumptions before we see the consultant.