Diagnosis of dementia and change of treatment by a new doctor

Fyne72

Feb 13, 2021
I have been treated for Altzimers for the past 4 years by my senior neurologist with 10mg of Aricept and Clonotril 0.5mg plus Mirapexin 0.18mg.Last month after tests she gave me Memantine Accord10mg morning and 10mg nightime . Now a GP changed my regime and stopped Aricept saying he did not think that I should be taking it along with Memantine. This G P does not know me. Can he do this.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @Fyne72
a warm welcome to DTP

there certainly are people who take both those meds, and it's unusual for a GP to change a prescription from a consultant, esp so soon after a review of meds ... maybe there was some indication on your records that this mix of meds isn't suitable for you, though I would have thought the Consultant would be aware of what's on your records

personally, I would contact the consultant and ask whether they are aware of this change by the GP

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Fyne72 and welcome from me too.

My wife has been prescribed both Donepezil(Aricept) and Memantine since her Dementia diagnosis.

I realize regions may differ(We are based in N Ireland), but during a recent period of change to my wife's meds I was left with the understanding that the Consultant can suggest meds but the power to Prescribe rests with the GP. It took me about 5 months to get my wife's GP to make an alteration suggested by the Consultant's Clinic.

In the end, it was a discussion with the GP that brought change for us.