Diagnosis early onset dementia

Annel1972

Mar 13, 2017
Just being diagnosed with early onset dementia, I'm only 44 years old, last 3 years my life changed overnight but last 6 months I'm really struggling, speech. Comprehension, forgetting, sleep over 12 hours a night!! The whole issues. I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice on this illness? And what can I apply for disability x

mumbasi

Sep 1, 2013
So sorry that you are having to cope with this Annel. I see from your previous post that you are married and wonder how your husband is coping with this as well. I know you will get lots of good advice from this wonderful community.

Your circumstances will dictate what benefits you will be entitled to for example are you still working, have children etc? Maybe your local Alzheimers branch would be the first port of call to find out about this and they may help with filling in the forms etc, although my local branch advised me to go to Citizens Advice and I ended up with going to the local Dial offices for help. I also found lots of information online.

I am a carer for my sister who has early onset dementia due to Fronto Temporal Dementia (FTD) and from that perspective I hope that you will consider doing a Lasting Power of Attorney as soon as possible so that you can decide how you wish to be cared for -that is the Health and Welfare LPA, and how your finances are managed - that is the LPA for Property and Financial Affairs.

Perhaps your husband would find help on this forum as well. I know that I do.
Lots of hugs

Annel1972

Mar 13, 2017
So sorry that you are having to cope with this Annel. I see from your previous post that you are married and wonder how your husband is coping with this as well. I know you will get lots of good advice from this wonderful community.

Your circumstances will dictate what benefits you will be entitled to for example are you still working, have children etc? Maybe your local Alzheimers branch would be the first port of call to find out about this and they may help with filling in the forms etc, although my local branch advised me to go to Citizens Advice and I ended up with going to the local Dial offices for help. I also found lots of information online.

I am a carer for my sister who has early onset dementia due to Fronto Temporal Dementia (FTD) and from that perspective I hope that you will consider doing a Lasting Power of Attorney as soon as possible so that you can decide how you wish to be cared for -that is the Health and Welfare LPA, and how your finances are managed - that is the LPA for Property and Financial Affairs.

Perhaps your husband would find help on this forum as well. I know that I do.
Lots of hugs

Thank you so much for your message, x

Haverton

Sep 12, 2016
Essex
Hi Annel I am so sorry you are struggling and hope this forum can help. I have found this community such a Godsend.

I like you have early onset of dementia and i suffer with many of issues you have described.

I followed the advice of members of this forum and arranged a LSP it eased many of my concerns in terms of finance and the care i wish to receive during the later stages of this my dementia I was advised to do this whist i can.

Alzheimers website is a fount of information and many of their local branches have days where activities can be accessed. I am encouraged "to live well with dementia" and I have found this achievable with the help from family and agencies who can best help.

I do hope things will improve for you very soon

Jon29

Sep 2, 2015
Hi Annel. My wife is 56, with early onset Alzheimer's. She showed signed from 51, 52, not formally diagnosed until 55. You'll need a PIP assessment.
Please you and hubby seek advice, but remember your progress will differ from "the norm". Even experts talked about my wife's memory loss, but she still has great recall, so make sure you get help with actual issues, not what's likely or expected.
Sending you and hubby best wishes

Dreane

Mar 16, 2017
Just Diagnosed with Vascular Dementia

I was diagnosed last week. At the moment I feel terrified of the future. I'm 65 I live alone. I have a Son, but he suffers with depression, and a 96yr old Mother, in Care Home. So, no family to turn to.
I've told two of my friends, but there just bombarding me with suggestions. Do this, go there, take this, cut out that..........I know they mean well, but it's all too much.
I'm so pleased to have found this forum, where I can hopefully air my fears, and get advice from others. Any advice welcome. Thankyou

Dreane

Mar 16, 2017
Just Diagnosed with Vascular Dementia

I was diagnosed last week. At the moment I feel terrified of the future. I'm 65 I live alone. I have a Son, but he suffers with depression, and a 96yr old Mother, in Care Home. So, no family to turn to.
I've told two of my friends, but there just bombarding me with suggestions. Do this, go there, take this, cut out that..........I know they mean well, but it's all too much.
I'm so pleased to have found this forum, where I can hopefully air my fears, and get advice from others. Any advice welcome. Thankyou

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello Dreane
a warm welcome to TP; glad you've joined this supportive community - it's exactly the place to write whatever is on your mind, whenever you want to share
I guess your friends want to help, though if this is all new to them, they're not at all sure how to cope or support you, so are over-compensating with 'advice' - maybe just be straight with them and say thanks, but let's just take one day at a time - might they even join us here and take some time to read around?
now you've found TP, settle in and keep posting
best wishes

Dreane

Mar 16, 2017
Your warm welcome

hello Dreane
a warm welcome to TP; glad you've joined this supportive community - it's exactly the place to write whatever is on your mind, whenever you want to share
I guess your friends want to help, though if this is all new to them, they're not at all sure how to cope or support you, so are over-compensating with 'advice' - maybe just be straight with them and say thanks, but let's just take one day at a time - might they even join us here and take some time to read around?
now you've found TP, settle in and keep posting
best wishes

Even though these are just letters from a keyboard, it's good to know there's help out there for me.
I feel I will join in more once I get used to using the site