Diagnosis advice and firearms concern

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Also (and I have a shot gun licence) GPs are now loath to get involved with the medical side of gun licensing, though someone needs to (its complicated).

With a Shot Gun licence, the guns and ammo must be stored in a gun cabinet, inspected by the police as being safe and secure. They usually do this when the licence comes up for renewal - once every few years.
If this was the Met in London, I suspect if they turned up for inspection and found anything they didn't like (including the persons behaviour), the guns would be removed.

Part of the licensing process involves the person applying stating that they have no medical conditions that would preclude owning a gun - physical or mental - I am summarising a bit here. Their GP is supposed to cross check against their health records to see if they find anything they think is concerning, many practices refuse to engage in this, some charge the person applying for providing this service. It varies as to how police forces handle this, but they will always visit a licence holder when first issued and on renewal.

If the person (or anyone) wishes to have guns of a certain type/calibre (more powerful than a shot gun)then a Firearms Certificate is required. The burden of proof (why you need it) and responsibility is higher here, the process is rightly more complicated.

I think, if there were any suspected medical issues, then depending on the police force (London seem more proactive than country forces) I suspect they would at least visit the licence holder, and if dementia was suspected may well take further action.

Holty91

Oct 11, 2020
Hi all, thanks for the support. I spoke with the local firearms officer this morning and they went to do a "random check" just after lunch. He is no longer a gun holder. Luckily he voluntarily surrendered them after some slight persuasion as he had no legitimate reason to hold them any longer.

LizzieM

May 6, 2019
Hi all, thanks for the support. I spoke with the local firearms officer this morning and they went to do a "random check" just after lunch. He is no longer a gun holder. Luckily he voluntarily surrendered them after some slight persuasion as he had no legitimate reason to hold them any longer.
Well done ? We all know it’s tough having to deal with stuff when you can remember the person as they were but right decision and right action here. Strong hug from here.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Phew! Well done you!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee

That’s great news! You must be so relieved!