1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1. pamhill4

pamhill4 Registered User

Jan 9, 2016
    I've been waiting over 6 months after a referral by GP to our local memory clinic and neurologist. I know neurology might be a long wait but thought the memory clinic might have been quicker! Is this usual in people's experiences? I'm 51 and my dad had dementia. Any advice?
    Pam X

2. Alison N

Alison N Registered User

Jan 3, 2015
    Surrey
    Hi Pam, we waited three months as we were told the memory clinic was very busy. We eventually rang the memory clinic only to be told they had never received the referral so it will be worth ringing them direct to see if they have the GP referral.

3. brambles

brambles Registered User

Sep 22, 2014
    Female
    NW England
    Hi Pam,
    Despite asking for the appointment to be sent to me it was sent to my mum who cancelled it without telling me. Is it possible this may have happened with your dad?
    I would definitely give them a ring.

Brambles x

4. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    Hi pamhill4
    welcome to TP - so sorry you arrived here in such worrying circumstances - but you've discovered a safe place to ask anything you want to - lots of sympathetic and experienced people here to chat with

I'm with Alison N - seems like there's a glitch somewhere - 6 months is a long time and you need to have your concerns dealt with - on Monday, have a word with your GP and contact the memory clinic to check on your referral - hope it's sorted out soon

best wishes