Diagnosed with vascular Dementia

pashandjas

Aug 26, 2006
My Husband was diagnosed in july and since, has rapidly gone down hill.
Night times seem to be the worst when it takes me hours to settle him down

He never seems to sleep, except cat naps for 10 mins at a time.

He was in the war with the Royal navy years ago and now he is reliving that era

Can anyone suggest what I can do?

I have to stay up all night and sleep during the day while my son comes round to look after my husband

helppppppppppp

Kathleen

Mar 12, 2005
West Sussex
Hello pashandjas

Sorry to hear your husband is so unsettled at the moment.

Is he on any medication at all and what about his sleeping pattern throughout the day?

Mum had a time when she slept deeply in the day and was awake most of the night, she had a very short course of tablets that got her pattern of sleep back quite quickly.

It may be worth giving the doctor a ring to see if they have any suggestions for him, you must both be exhausted.

Kathleen

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
Reliving the past

Recently my Mum was reliving the London Blitz and it was all so real to her that she told me that it was OK to sit on the chair because the men had taken it outside and vacuumed all the glass off it! Tell your GP about the confused sleeping patterns and hopefully there will be some medication which can help him (and you) have a good night's sleep.
Mum seems to have a few days or a week reliving a particular part of her past and then everything calms down for a while until next time. I haven't noticed any special pattern in the vivid memories, but very often now, they are pleasant rather than disturbing. Vascular Dementia is a confusing condition to deal with because there seem to be so many ups and downs, but the right drugs do help a lot.
Kayla

Helena

May 24, 2006
Kayla .......My mothers doctor said there was nothing he could give her

She is currently totally fixated on locks and if you believe anything she says they are being "fixed" by her many times a day

Even my poor sister has now had enough of the ranting and raving my Mother does on the phone so the answerphone will be put to use

Dreadful to say it but little option now but you operate "tough love " maybe then a crisis will happen and she will have no option but a care home

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Pashandjas,
Welcome to TP. Is your husband active day and night? I would talk to the GP as suggested by Kayla and Kathleen - see if there is a medication that might restore his sleep pattern. There are also natural sleep remedies that might help.
I would try and keep him as active as possible during the day, so that he doesn't have any chance to catch up on the missed sleep - I know, it is easier said than done. It is quite likely to be a phase, so bear in mind that it will pass, and keep managing as best you can. You and your son sound to be coping well between you.
Keep us updated with how things are going.
Love Helen

pashandjas

Aug 26, 2006
thanks

Amy said:
Hiya Pashandjas,
Welcome to TP. Is your husband active day and night? I would talk to the GP as suggested by Kayla and Kathleen - see if there is a medication that might restore his sleep pattern. There are also natural sleep remedies that might help.
I would try and keep him as active as possible during the day, so that he doesn't have any chance to catch up on the missed sleep - I know, it is easier said than done. It is quite likely to be a phase, so bear in mind that it will pass, and keep managing as best you can. You and your son sound to be coping well between you.
Keep us updated with how things are going.
Love Helen
thank you for your reply it helped me i have been going out of my mind with worry last night he was up alnight i found him shaving with a knife then later on he wanted to go out to town sometimes i laugh about it but it is a worry i dont know what stage he is on but it is an awful illness he is such a loverly guy
pashandjas