Diabetic Eye Screening

Bevs

Sep 27, 2015
Hi. My mum is in a dementia care home and has been called for diabetic eye screening. The home have told me to arrange the screening at a hospital near me and to take her. It got me wondering about whether it would be in mums best interests.
She would more than likely find the appointment quite an ordeal....even getting ready and actually making it to the department in time, let alone the procedure.
Also, should the results indicate treatment is necessary, how would she manage. Can I decide that she shouldn't attend the screening? Would I be doing the best for her if I decline to take her?
Would love to hear other people's experience/opinions. Thanks.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi Bevs and Welcome to Talking Point
The procedure for Diabetic eye screening involves her being able to look steadily at a light while photos are taken (having previously had drops) and if there are problems picked up then the treatment for this is LASER treatment which, again means she would have to look steadily at a light - but for much longer, A LASER session can last up to half an hour. Do you think your mum would be able to do this? I suspect not.

I would phone up about the appointment, explain about the problem and cancel it TBH. In an ideal world all people with diabetes would have a screening test, but this is not an ideal world and there are actually all sorts of people who are unable to do the test. Do not worry about it.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband attended diabetic eye screening appointments as long as he was mobile and able. Once he was in the care home he no longer attended.

To take hime to a centre would have involved travelling in a wheelchair taxi which disturbed him , made him anxious, feel sick and dizzy and simply wasn`t worth the upheaval.

I feel we should be able to weigh up the pros and cons and make our own decisions according to the health and fitness of the individual.

ellejay

Jan 28, 2011
Essex
I stopped taking my mum for hers. Last time we went mum got very agitated with the short wait and then couldnt follow the instructions. I could hold her head still, but couldnt stop her closing her eyes against the light.
The next appointment that came i phoned & explained. They said they would take mum off their list.
If i do get another letter this year ill just phone again to cancel .

Lin x

Bevs

Sep 27, 2015
Bevs

Thank you all for your helpful replies. They have confirmed what was my initial feeling, that I should cancel the appointment!
Ps I have never been on a forum before, so massive apologies if I get the format/responses etc wrong!

Bevs

Sep 27, 2015
Ellejay, Grannie G, Canary

Thank you all for your helpful replies. They have confirmed what was my initial feeling, that I should cancel the appointment!
Ps I have never been on a forum before, so massive apologies if I get the format/responses etc wrong!

CynthsDaugh

May 5, 2015
Salford, Lancashire
Hi,

Just to add - being type 2 diabetic myself and needing annual eye screenings, I can say that the drops they put in the eyes can be quite painful, and as the pupil is dialated vision can also be a bit blurred for a while after the test (they say not to drive) which could add to your Mums confusion.

I hate going for these tests.

Sally