Diabetes-drug Alzheimer-s-200-patients-recruited-major-trial transform-way-condition-

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
This is interesting Jimbo. I've forwarded it to my sister in law, married to my husband's youngst brother. My husband and his sister both have Alzheimer's, and so did their father and grandfather.

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
I am wondering how these trials are going?

Has anyone any first hand experience with a relative etc, who is on the trial, wether Liraglutide is making any difference, positive or negative?

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
I am wondering how these trials are going?

Has anyone any first hand experience with a relative etc, who is on the trial, wether Liraglutide is making any difference, positive or negative?

you raise a good point Mal
I have searched the internet but I cannot find any update on this trial
the Alzheimer's Society printed their first report on this subject in 2013

Diabetes drug may reverse Alzheimer's and enters major clinical trial
Published 11 September 2013
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/news_article.php?newsID=1779

My post was in 2015
It would be interesting to find out if this was only one of those trials we read about and never hear any thing more ,that makes so many members cynical about them
jimbo

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The trial appears to be ongoing and the phase should complete next year.
Not a very big sample size.

Estimated Enrollment: 206
Study Start Date: January 2014
Estimated Study Completion Date: January 2017
Estimated Primary Completion Date: January 2017 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01843075

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
The trial appears to be ongoing and the phase should complete next year.
Not a very big sample size.

Estimated Enrollment: 206
Study Start Date: January 2014
Estimated Study Completion Date: January 2017
Estimated Primary Completion Date: January 2017 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01843075

Thank you nitram
Very much up to date
and a useful site
jimbo
(The ClinicalTrials.gov processed this record on March 31, 2016)

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"(The ClinicalTrials.gov processed this record on March 31, 2016)"

Data was last verified by Imperial College London in Feb 2016 and the site updated at that time.

Pity that you have to go to the U.S. National Institutes of Health to find out what's happening.

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
you raise a good point Mal
I have searched the internet but I cannot find any update on this trial
the Alzheimer's Society printed their first report on this subject in 2013

Diabetes drug may reverse Alzheimer's and enters major clinical trial
Published 11 September 2013
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/news_article.php?newsID=1779

My post was in 2015
It would be interesting to find out if this was only one of those trials we read about and never hear any thing more ,that makes so many members cynical about them
jimbo

I was hoping someone whose relative or friend is on the trials, would post what effect they think it has had or not.

I had an email from Alz 2014, asking for volunteers for the trial, but, they stated only early/mid stages to apply, so Stan couldn't go on it. The annoying thing is, he is diabetic, I asked Dr if we can change him to Liraglutide , all I got as a reply was 'There is no medical evidence it does anything'. I was a little annoyed that is was brushed off, just like that without a discussion. It is after all a diabetic med, so I couldn't see the harm in changing it. If these trials are a success, I will be furious with the Doctor, he could have had the benefit of 2 years. If not it still treated the diabetes. It seems very difficult to receive any information from anywhere. I did have a post last year from a gentleman whose wife is in the trial, but, it wasn't very positive. He thought she was getting worse and felt she was on the placebo, which he was quite angry about. That is another sad thing, why not try everyone with the drug, that to me is the only way to get a true result of what it does. I also received an email from the Diabetic Socy advising of the diabetics are saying this drug had been a success with their memories, surely that says something. M xxx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
That is another sad thing, why not try everyone with the drug, that to me is the only way to get a true result of what it does.

There are excellent reasons why a drug trial has to have some portion of the people enrolled in it on a placebo (or in some cases an alternate drug). Without this protocol, it would be impossible to state if the effects that were being seen were just wishful thinking. In situations where trials show dramatically positively effects, it's not unheard of for the trial to be curtailed so that the protocol can be extended to everyone, but it wouldn't be a trial without a control group. And lets not forget, it's not unheard of for drug trials to be stopped because of unexpected side-effects from the so called active drug.

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
There are excellent reasons why a drug trial has to have some portion of the people enrolled in it on a placebo (or in some cases an alternate drug). Without this protocol, it would be impossible to state if the effects that were being seen were just wishful thinking. In situations where trials show dramatically positively effects, it's not unheard of for the trial to be curtailed so that the protocol can be extended to everyone, but it wouldn't be a trial without a control group. And lets not forget, it's not unheard of for drug trials to be stopped because of unexpected side-effects from the so called active drug.

I'm afraid we all get a little down and impatient with the slow procedures, however necessary. When we are watching our loved ones, helplessly, disappearing before our eyes. We just keep hoping a miracle drug will appear, but told it could be 5-10years before it will be available is disheartening. However, thank you for posting that information.