Diabetes and broken skin

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I've just left mum, her legs are swollen, mega red, took her to the doctors yesterday and put her on anti-biotics to get the anger out of them but her skin has broken today. I will go to the walk in centre tomorrow to get her some help but has anyone else dealt with swollen, angry red legs and broken skin with diabetes as one of the diagnosis. Should the broken skin be covered tonight or left for the air to heal it.

I'd call 111 but they won't talk to me unless I'm with her.

I am hoping that as the antibiotics kick in the swelling will go down and the broken skin will heal. Any ideas or experience

zelana

Feb 11, 2013
N E Lincs
Mum has swollen legs which itch so she scratches them. When she breaks the skin & they start to 'weep' the care home call the district nurse who puts dressings on. Mum is currently on antibiotics for cellulitis in both legs.

Based on what I've seen with Mum I'd say cover the broken skin.

midlandslassie

Apr 22, 2013
Leicestershire
I've just left mum, her legs are swollen, mega red, took her to the doctors yesterday and put her on anti-biotics to get the anger out of them but her skin has broken today. I will go to the walk in centre tomorrow to get her some help but has anyone else dealt with swollen, angry red legs and broken skin with diabetes as one of the diagnosis. Should the broken skin be covered tonight or left for the air to heal it.

I'd call 111 but they won't talk to me unless I'm with her.

I am hoping that as the antibiotics kick in the swelling will go down and the broken skin will heal. Any ideas or experience

Broken areas can be covered temporarily with a sterile wound dressing such as Mepore (or alternative brand) island dressings until she has been properly assessed by a healthcare professional. These consist of a sterile non adherent pad contained in a hypo-allergenic plaster and are able to absorb light exudate. The antibiotics should start to kick in and deal with the infection but it's essential that she sees her doctor to look at her glycaemic control etc. Good luck!!

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Timodine cream was the ONLY thing that cured my skin inflammation. I am grateful to the district nurse who came in to dr's room to get a prescription signed. Just with a glance she said I needed Timodine cream so the Dr went with that. Huge difference in just 3 days after weeks of pills and potions.

Fiona

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Thanks I'll get some tomorrow if the walk in centre doctors recommend it too for mum, my sister has got her some new cream and I'm not just saying it, but her legs are far worse. Mum won't believe the cream sister got her on Monday is making it worse as sister is a nurse, it costs a fortune, so it must be right but her legs are raging, her skin is broken for the first time ever and sister got her on this cream
by-passing the doctors on Monday.

Coincidence or incompetence? I am cross that my sister didn't get this cream or an alternative via the GP as mum is on 14 odd different medications and one can affect the other, if we are messing with meds it has to go through the GP. The GP have been treating her legs for a couple of years and they know what works and what doesn't.

I'll be overprotective and wrong again but it's mum who is suffering. You wouldn't believe the change to her legs in such a short time.

Then I am told sister will get it cheaper from the internet than she can get it at chemists but mum doesn't understand that if you ebay medications you have no idea at all what the content is.

I need a wall to bash my head against.

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
It maybe that your mum has cellulitis and the antibiotics should take about 3 to 4 days to start to bring the redness and inflammation down. The cream your sister has given her (what is it?) your mum may be allergic to it. So cellulitis and an allergy... Ouch. I would advise you stop using anything not prescribed that probably should be and certainly not bought off the Internet. As you say, who knows what is actually in it. For open wounds, they should be kept clean, dressed either with an non adherent dry dressing secured by a bandage if possible or if it won't ruin clothes or furniture cover it with some Vaseline. That stops bugs getting in and keeps the wound moist so it doesn't itch.
Hope things get better soon xx