Devastation in the home

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Crying out loud! MIL's room looks like a mad woman has been in there! :eek:

I was awake at 4am and her light was on. I heard a loud bang so ran upstairs to see if anything had happened in our bedroom. All was ok. Listened to the baby monitor to try to establish if MIL ok. All sounded ok so assumed she had dropped her book on the floor!

Ugh............She has completely wrecked the curtains and rails.......nets torn. What the hell was she doing............:confused::confused::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

The house is getting ruined! I said to hubby if you want her to go then she will :eek:

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Good point I do! The cats went bonkers as well

Thank you for that......I absolutely think you are right

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
I'm afraid such behaviour is often the result of fear or desperation. My poor mother created chaos and destruction. Do you think your MIL's medication might need re-assessing?

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Could be medication. She has an appointment with the GP soon because the Memory Clinic (who have discharged her) have requested it. Last time GP was useless as was asking MIL questions so of course she said a load of rubbish and he believed her :eek:

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
Could be medication. She has an appointment with the GP soon because the Memory Clinic (who have discharged her) have requested it. Last time GP was useless as was asking MIL questions so of course she said a load of rubbish and he believed her :eek:

So sorry to hear this, must be very distressing for everyone. Are you any good with a drill? (For the curtains not the MIL) :D

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Hubby good with drill and will repair when he gets home!

Not the cats as they are a) not allowed in her bedroom b) they were with me as they were scared witless!

Lainey 127

Nov 25, 2012
Liverpool UK
Sorry to hear about the damage your MIL caused. My Mum tore the sofa to pieces a couple of weeks ago because I went to bed and refused to sit downstairs with her. I went to the local fabric shop and they let me have a large bag of scraps cheaply. Mum can tear them to pieces if she needs to. We also told our CPN and I'm waiting to hear if they're going to change Mums meds.
Hope all has calmed down for you now.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
No thunder last night but again all the curtains all over the place. Hubby repaired it all yesterday. Now we are thinking shall we just leave the curtains down?:eek:

Mamsgirl

Jun 2, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Thunderstorms....oh I hear you 1954

1954 you are wonderfully resourceful in the way you care for your Mil.
My poor SF had combat related PTSD and one night soon after he moved to a nursing home we had the mother of all thunderstorms in Melbourne. Completely forgot that Mum held his hand and talked away his fears at such times or I'd have stayed with him. Very upset the next day because a "carer" had snapped that he had to stop ringing the bell, and didn't he know he wasn't the only resident :mad::mad::mad:
Now, we're talking a kindly, gentle man who was too frightened to get out of his bed, how I wish he'd been on the other end of a monitor a couple of rooms away. And forgive me for saying this, but I'd give a lot to see that carer faced with someone like your Mil :D
Agree with Butter, meds definitely worth a look at.
Take care, Toni x

<Baby monitor??? This caregiving thing just gets scarier by the day :)>

Last edited:

Austinsmum

Oct 7, 2012
Melton Mowbray
No thunder last night but again all the curtains all over the place. Hubby repaired it all yesterday. Now we are thinking shall we just leave the curtains down?:eek:

1954 I’ve stop rehanging mum's curtains. I’ve learnt it’s a waste of time and energy trying to keep up a ‘normal’ appearance. Mum sleeps on a bare mattress now. I’ve given over re-making the bed. She can strip it within an hour of me doing so. And anyway, she won’t get undressed at night so at least she’s warm ;)
Only down side of not having any curtains is all night sundowning!
Chin up :D

Carara

May 19, 2013
West Mids,Uk

Just a thought but what about a roller blind ?

I would`nt let hubby put the curtains back up if she was taking them down every day...

I have a vision of 1954 saying " you can stay there until you`ve tidied it "

What did hubby say ?

Its so hard for him to see this vile illness taking over his mother and making her do these things which she never ever would have dreamt of doing before

x x x

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Find a piece of fabric the size of the window, hem it into a square ( or rectangle) and attach to the frame with Velcro.

Let her rip it down as often as she likes.

You could always temp fix Velcro on the ordinary curtains and just across the top of the frame.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951