Deterioration after a fall

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
Mum fell on BH monday. It was a nasty fall with cuts, bruises and a broken upper arm. But three days on she seems much worse mentally, not better.
On the day she fell she was tired, bored and in pain but other than that she was ok.
On Tuesday, she was very clingly, crying and not making anysense, refusing to co operate with anything.
I did not see her yesterday, but today she was lying almost lifeless seeming in the bed, rousing only to talk rubbish or even rave nonsense pulling off the strapping every few minutes.
Im alarmed by this!
I spoke to this staff who just said they were "keeping an eye on her" which Im sure they are, but is this comon follwing a trauma? Is she likely now to stay like this ?

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Natasha, I am sure you are alarmed, anyone would be.

Try to accept that things will take more time to settle down with anyone with dementia. I am sure she is being well looked after. Maybe someone on here will have something more positive to say.

Thinking of you, stay strong.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Just throwing some ideas out here. Is it possible that she has some form of infection? Like a UTI? Or perhaps you should consider why she fell in the first place. Could she have had a seizure? Or a TIA? What about any pain-killers they're giving her?

Having said all that, I don't think it's entirely unusual for even a "well" person to be worse a couple of days down the line from what sounds to be a fairly major accident: possibly something to do with adrenaline rising when the accident occurs and then subsequently dropping. I don't think necessarily that this is a downturn from which she won't recover, although you can never be certain.

Jennifer

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Natasha,

When my husband fell and broke his arm, he was n`t only traumatised afterwards, he was totally confused as well. He forgot he had broken his arm and kept trying to use it. He kept taking the collar off and acting as if nothing had happened.

It sounds as if your mother is very confused, really can`t make head or tail of what`s happened, doesn`t know the strapping is there to help, but just finds it uncomfortable and restricting.

Can you establish whether or not she`s in pain. If she is, she`ll be unable to tell anyone. Is she being given anything for pain?

It`s so worrying when communication breaks down. You need to be as you would with a baby and try to guess how she`s feeling.

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
pain relief

Grannie G said:
Natasha,

Can you establish whether or not she`s in pain. If she is, she`ll be unable to tell anyone. Is she being given anything for pain?

It`s so worrying when communication breaks down. You need to be as you would with a baby and try to guess how she`s feeling.

Well, the trouble is she isnt really over a badly broken pelvis yet, when we went to hospital the home gave us the medication she is currently on to show the dr, which I did, and he said for her to just carry on with that, Co codymol I think or similar, same dose as already on.
I dont know how pain relief works but she has now been on that since Jan so I wouldnt be suprised if she is immune to it by now. I was persoanally suprised they didnt keep such an old person in there but I suppose as there are nurses in the home then being in hosp wouldnt offer that much more support really

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Co codemol, paracetemol and codeine is strong, I took them for migraines, but I did get used to them and where once 2 tablets would do, I began to take 3.

Not that I would ever make a judgement on your mother`s medication, but you could ask about the dose.

Poor thing. if she`s still suffering from a broken pelvis and now has a broken arm, it`s not surprising she`s traumatized and uncomfortable.

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hi Natasha,poor mum she is definently having a rough trot,my mum fell backwards three months ago and fractured her tailbone I noticed she was walking awkwardly and when questioned she replied that she thought the whiteants had set in, xrays revealed the fracture, the doctor warned me that this would more than likely set her right back, the pain killers (ENDONE) made her tied and she slept alot which worked in her favour as the Dr wanted her to rest, thankfully it didn't have any long term affect. I dont know about your hosp system but in Australia if the patient comes from a care home they buddle them back ASAP. This is alot of worry for you I wish you and mum well. Keep Safe Taffy.:)

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
Its Happened Again!!

My mother fell again last night. althoug there isnt any more "damage" as such she is obviously even more upset and shaken. This is hopeless!! What happens when someone gets too frail for a nursing home?!
I understand the staff cant watch her 24/7 but this is now 4 falls in about 3 months!

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Oh dear, your poor mother (and poor you as well). I think falls are one of the most difficult things to manage. After all, unless someone is physically restrained there IS no way to ensure they don't fall. All one can really do is see if there's a connecting thread. For example specific times she falls, or specific situations. My mother was, for example, 1) constantly rolling out of bed and 2) using her walking frame inappropriately. The former was solved when she moved into the nursing home, because they have high cot sides on the bed and the latter was solved by the constant falling unfortunately: she can no longer weight bear so the walking frame is no longer an option. Not really a cheery thought: in effect she had to get worse before we could keep her safe.

Jennifer

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Sorry to read about the falls your mother having.

Not sure if this is of any help, but when my mother had a bad fall last year December it took her a good 4 weeks before she pick up again.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
So Sorry Natasha, 2 falls in quick succession.....................does anyone know if there`s a specific reason, ie dizzy spells, vertigo, disorientation or just weakness.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Every situation is different I know.

Lionel could have two/three falls in 24 hours. Sometimes his legs would just give out even when I was walking him across the lounge.

Went into the care home 7 months ago because of the mobility problems. At least when he fell there was someone to pick him up, instead of me calling the paramedics.

Nowdays he cannot stand or attempt to stand even with assistance, hence he does not fall anymore., just lifted from bed to chair.

But as I say, every situation is different..........

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Natashlou,
When my mum was still mobile and living at home she would have falls. Sometimes would be standing still and suddenly fall backwards - no apparent reason. She had falls when she went to day care. My dad and I were concerned, but the only alternative was to sedate her so that she could not walk. We decided that we would rather face the consequences of her falling but still leave her what little freedom that she had, than have her sitting in a chair all day, safe but even less alert. Sadly, now we dont have the problem of falls, and she sits all day.
Love Helen

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Our posts must have crossed Connie - oh that they could have a fall!!
Love and hugs,
Helen

Natashalou

Mar 22, 2007
london
Well

Grannie G said:
So Sorry Natasha, 2 falls in quick succession.....................does anyone know if there`s a specific reason, ie dizzy spells, vertigo, disorientation or just weakness.

not really.

Fall number one: Version one..fell over dishwasher door (still lived at home at this time) version two ..tripped over doorstep. Has insisited on various occasions one or the other version correct and denied ever saying the other!!

Fall number two: This took place in hospital when recovering from fall number one. Version one..she was at a dance (ahem) amd slipped over. Version two..the staff didnt like her and pushed her over. Staff version..she went alone to the bathroom despite being told not to and fell in there.

Fall number three..she "tripped" ..probable correct version, she DID trip but because she was refusing to use her zimmer frame

Fall number four..cause un known, found on floor. Her version..all told to evacuate home at 4am, she fell in the stampede. :(

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
When Jan was 'falling' she was in fact fainting - medics reckoned TIAs

You have to be there to figure if this might be so because there are signs before it happens.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
she DID trip but because she was refusing to use her zimmer frame

It must be because she is suffering (spelling?) Not picking up her feet as she walks ? my mother went though that stage in not wanting to walk with Zimmer frame, she did trip over a few time, but lucky for mum she would fall on bed as she use to walk so fast, she did have a fall in the street also when she was with me holding my arm, that when I relished I could not take her out in the street alone ( just with me ) , and then she would not use Zimmer frame out in the street, so I could only take mum out in taxi.

At home I had to stop offering her my arm to help her get around, so would put Zimmer frame in front of her. She does walk around home leaning one hand on wall, or holds her skirt with both
Hands and rushes forward, but I try to keep Zimmer frame near her, as she forgets now and thinks she do it alone. she use zimmer frame at frount door to AZ bus , if no one offer her they arm,
as that use to encourages her to use Zimmer frame , but we all Relies now her walking getting worse and it’s faster to offer her our arm, because of the traffic outside my house , as the AZ bus wait for her

Last edited: