Deteriorated.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Arrived at dad's today. Before the lunchtime carer. He was in bed. He looked awful. Pale and waxy. When the carer arrived we moved dad and gave him continence care. He now has another pressure sore.Which is open and bleeding. So that's 2. District Nurses are due tomorrow to check on it. But he or it has that smell. Sort of rotten flesh. I have smelt this many a time . He ate a small sandwich but no desert. He has been sleeping on and off and is snoring. But he is stopping breathing now and again. His heels are now pink and will break down by the look of it. Personally I doubt whether this new care plan will come into play. I'm stopping over tonight.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
So sorry @TNJJ
Please let your dad's GP know they can, if it's appropriate, make a referral to Marie Curie Nurses who are there to support

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, please do contact your GP urgently.
That sounds like Cheyne Stokes breathing.

Make sure you are there when the DN arrives and talk to her about this.

wilko73

Feb 8, 2021
My mother has gel heel pads that are placed under her feet,the district nurse will order these if you haven't got them already so ask for them and you will need the best level of barrier creams Proshield plus is superior to other barrier creams and can be used on stage 2 sores,you will have to ask the district nurse to approve it and then it can be prescribed on repeat

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Arrived at dad's today. Before the lunchtime carer. He was in bed. He looked awful. Pale and waxy. When the carer arrived we moved dad and gave him continence care. He now has another pressure sore.Which is open and bleeding. So that's 2. District Nurses are due tomorrow to check on it. But he or it has that smell. Sort of rotten flesh. I have smelt this many a time . He ate a small sandwich but no desert. He has been sleeping on and off and is snoring. But he is stopping breathing now and again. His heels are now pink and will break down by the look of it. Personally I doubt whether this new care plan will come into play. I'm stopping over tonight.
looks like infection maybe. needs barrier cream. he may need to be checked today. you are best one to know if he needs checking.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I’m sorry to hear this.
I agree that you ought to call out the paramedics or gp now, although I guess you won’t want dad to be admitted to hospital but there are things they can offer to make things easier for your dad.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I'm going to ask for heel pads tomorrow. He has also got a hole (small) on his knees. His voice is very husky and he is coughing a lot today. @ his breathing he is breathing normally now. He has always stopped breathing for a couple of of seconds then restarts. A bit like when a baby holds his breath.It is written in his DNR that there is no hospital unless a clear emergency.Dad has always refused to go. He is more with it tonight but is having difficulty with co ordination. So he is now having a dementia cup with a lid. He is finding it easier. Not hot meals for the last few days but will eat Jaffa cakes and sandwiches.

Miss perfect tonight. Again on about the cushion in the recliner. She has even suggested take out the cushion so he sits straight on the recliner. As if that's going to happen! I reminded her that there is a change of care plan so he will be sat for 4 hours in the recliner back to bed. I also reminded her he is diabetic and his needs differ from other clients.
She told me that apparently the nurse did not cover the pressure sore properly.Thats why the new one was bleeding. I couldn't be bothered to say that it is more likely he has developed a new one as he is on a repose and doesn't move.. But he can move .. apparently. Plus they do not regularly turn him as at lunch and tea there is only one carer. Apparently it is illegal for one carer to attend to a client to check pads and move. Even though dad can help a bit. Hence I'm here for lunch and tea tomorrow as well.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
We had the District Nurse out and the HCA who changed dad's dressing . The pressure sore has almost heeled. Whilst he was there the HCA took dad's observations. His BP was 90/58. Very weak pulse and his oxygen was 92. He phoned the Drs to try and get someone out to see him as he was concerned. Dad was fully conscious and quite vocal. Apparently there is a score that they do on the computer and dad's was 6. If it was a 7 it would have been a 999 call. The HCA was good as gold. He was collecting information for the NHS that can been seen by doctors etc without us having to repeat it. Dad is very pale today. Still in bed and moaning about that now.He has been sleeping on and off all day and has had blue lips most of the day.Eating a little better but drinking is still poor.
When the paramedic from the doctors surgery came his obs had improved to 104/58. Pulse 60. So a little better .But he looks awful still.

We are to ring 999 if he becomes unresponsive which he has done before.Plus when the paramedic did the capacity test..he failed. He knew who I was and his date of birth. But not the month or year or day. Plus he told the paramedic he walks. So to double check he asked myself and the lunchtime carer.
His air mattress and air cushion and heel pads come Monday and Tuesday. I'm not going to be around for the air mattress on Tuesday. Carers can sort etc.
It wouldn't surprise if dad is in his chair tomorrow. I'm home until Sunday night.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Hi TNJJ I assume they listened to his chest? It sounds like an infection or one brewing. We were taken completely by surprise when our PWD tested positive for covid, a check the hospital did whilst waiting in A&E with bladder infection. His sats & bp kept fluctuating & due to having COPD the coughing wasn’t ringing bells for covid. Even the GP had hadnt raised concerns having listened to his chest, some bubbles but nothing too worried about. He also looked awful.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi TNJJ I assume they listened to his chest? It sounds like an infection or one brewing. We were taken completely by surprise when our PWD tested positive for covid, a check the hospital did whilst waiting in A&E with bladder infection. His sats & bp kept fluctuating & due to having COPD the coughing wasn’t ringing bells for covid. Even the GP had hadnt raised concerns having listened to his chest, some bubbles but nothing too worried about. He also looked awful.
Hi. Yes he did. He has crackles but they are always there. Dad is an ex smoker. He had his bloods taken the week before and no sign of infection.Dad is still home.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Well dad back out in the chair all day. Now new and broken skin. He already has 2 dressings. Urine output yesterday was 400 MLS in 12 hours. I know there is a thread on here saying about when will it all end for the PWD as it is so sad to see . But it feels sometimes like ground hog day. It would be so much easier sometimes without carers as they can make it more difficult.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Well dad back out in the chair all day. Now new and broken skin. He already has 2 dressings. Urine output yesterday was 400 MLS in 12 hours. I know there is a thread on here saying about when will it all end for the PWD as it is so sad to see . But it feels sometimes like ground hog day. It would be so much easier sometimes without carers as they can make it more difficult.
what more can you do to make carers realise that they are causing him more harm than good

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Dad suffered another TIA during the night. Back in bed today. Not a happy chappy. Things seem to be accelerating. Heel pads due to arrive today.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Sorry to read about the TIA. He has a lot going on and it must be so difficult for you to witness. Look after yourself.