Deteriation

snuffyuk

Jul 8, 2004
Near Bristol
Hello to all.
My mother seems to have "gone down hill" in the last few days. With her Dementia + macular degeneration, eyes+ osteoporiasis of the spine+ bad hearing its not very surprising I suppose!

She seems somewhat depressed and having mood changes which include being angry at me.

What I really can't stand is that she knows how bad she is as she knows what she wants to say but the "foggy" mind won't respond. Being a once prolific reader and listener of the radio there is nothing left for her to enjoy.

I can see my mum dying before my eyes and I am at a loss as to how to comfort or help her in these dark days that are so lonely for her.

regards to all
snuffyuk

PS All the best for 2005

freefairy

Nov 2, 2004
Colchester
Hello Snuffy

Sorry to hear your mum has deteriated so much, it looks like she has enough to cope with without the alzheimers :(

My dad has AD, he spent 3 1/2 weeks in hospital with a nasty chest infection recently, he came out the day before christmas eve, he's still home but unfortunately he's back to where he was just before he went in, mum got the doc out yesterday and he's got another chest infection!!

What confuses me is dad was much more alert in the hospital but now he's home he's reverted to a little old man sitting with his head on his chest and dribbling, he has no interest in anything and at night he's falling out of bed at least 3-4 times. We're waiting to hear from occupational therapy for a bed guard but they seem to be taking forever.

Last year was difficult, this year will be much the same.

Here's to everyone at TP and may everyone have some periods of relief.

Sheryl x

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Snuffy,

yes, this is awful for you all, but it is worthwhile checking that there is no virus, bladder infection, change in response to medication etc.

Please don't assume this situation is necessarily permanent, or that things won't get a little better. On a daily basis these things fluctuate, as you know, and the quality of the fluctuation changes also.

Best wishes for 2005

snuffyuk

Jul 8, 2004
Near Bristol
Thankyou Bruce.
About a month ago whem my mum got rather "busy" during the night she did have a bladder infection and was given anti-biotics and things calmed down.
Do these type of infections occur regularly with this condition?

Silly question but how does a bladder infection affect the mind?

Regards

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Snuffy

the bladder infections seem to be primarily caused by deteriorating personal hygiene. Norman has suggested [as I recall, though I may be wrong...] the use of a bidet or similar, to help prevent the problem.

I don't think the infections affects the mind directly, but imagine having a real pain somewhere - especially somewhere very personal - and not being able to describe it to someone - or even to understand what is going on - ie to work it out - oneself.

It is bound to cause anguish at the very least, and that will affect the mind. We don't know what is going on in their minds - how much cognitive activity there is - so we can't really judge.

More of this blooming nightmare. I'm afraid!

Best wishes to you - and of course, all the above is just my interpretation, which has no medical foundation. I'm just a frustrated observer, I'm afraid.

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Snuffy, yes, do please check out the urine infections as Brucie says, they are often to blame for sudden problems I found. Hope you are all OK, nice to hear from you, but sorry things are yet again heavy for you, Love She XX
Dear Sheryll, this must be so difficult for you all, sometimes, just because they have a change of scenery, etc., it can give them a kind of boost which is short lived once things return to the norm. It's similar to the problems mentioned by some members on TP when the routine was changed over Christmas. It is nothing you have done or could have changed, just the way this darn illness is unfortunately. Your Dad would no doubt have soon got used to the hospital and been much the same as he now is at home. You can only do your best, regardless of where and when. It is so very hard to cope with I know, but just love him lots and do your best, thats all any of us can do, love She, XX

snuffyuk

Jul 8, 2004
Near Bristol
Mum is also suffering from bed sores that despite dressings still give her pain.
would that be a cause for night activity also?
regards

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Snuffy, Is the sore where your Mum is in one position for any length of time, can you prop her off of it with pillows? Or is it to do with when she gets wet, and her urine/excreta causing an ongoing problem? If it is her position, perhaps you could try moving her more often, or a special air bed will help do the trick. You can request one of these from your GP. SS, also could help. Or if your DN thinks it would help, she may well request it for you. If she is having dressings, the DN is likely to be considering this I would think. If it is Urine etc, there is a special barrier cream, again, your GP or DN can prescribe it, you can't get it over the counter, this will provide a covering which is waterproof and will relieve the soreness. I found out about these when the same things happened to my mum, she had very loose stools which caused her to get sore as she was in bed constantly at this stage. The DN helped me get the barrier cream, I think it is call canovel or something similar, it cleared up the soreness in a couple of days. She got pressure marks too but these luckily never completely broke down and developed into sores as she already had an air bed and we moved her every two to three hours. It is an awful worry for you because despite your very best efforts, as they become more poorly, their skin becomes so much more frail and it is very hard to keep it intact. You are doing your very best Snuffy, this is sadly often the way of things. Thinking of you and wishing I could help more, love She. XX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debbie1968