Despicable me

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Whatever other problems she has, my wife still commands a good vocabulary. We had a poignant moment yesterday morning after I had helped her to wash and dress when tearfully she said “I’m not me anymore” quickly followed by “I want me back”. All I could do was give her a hug and a few words of reassurance. She was in fine fettle by the time we went to see her GP for another pointless consultation**.

By the evening she was calling me 'despicable' for living in 'her house' uninvited and conspiring with her sister to defraud her out of it. A standard day really but for once I would have liked her to see that it was me who was in need of some sympathy for a minor stomach upset.

**The GP did sign the form that allows me to claim council tax rebate on the grounds of my wife's severe mental impairment so at least we got something out of the visit..

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh such a roller coaster of emotions @northumbrian_k.

I'm glad you can share here and hope it helps - even just a bit.

Glad you got the GP's signature!

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I saw your mention of council tax rebate and I have called our council and they told me what to do. He has already got Attendance Allowance so it should be straightforward. So glad I saw that thank you and very sorry to hear what a difficult time you have.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
image.jpeg

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Doctors aren't allowed to charge for this form. There is an official list of what they are allowed to charge for, and that's not on it.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
@northumbrian_k

So a bit of a good and a bad day. I believe the Martin Lewis programme this evening had something about the Council Tax rebate - I did not see it. How does one go about the Council Tax rebate?
Hope you're upset stomach is feeling better - you do not need that on top of other things. poignant what your wife said this morning though...... my OH reflects no emotions whatsoever of any kind - just huffs and puffs all day long....

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I think the 25 per cent is for living alone. My dad pays nothing as a severely mentally impaired person living alone. He is on the highest rate of DLA care component and his Gp signed the form at a cost of fifteen pounds.

Dad knows nothing about this of course.

One Moment At A Time

Jan 4, 2019
Puerto Rico
Dear Person, the only thing I could sincerely share is my health is not "too very good looking", but above all I'm thankful to a Higher Power, for the give of "today & now", family, friends & having the attitude of "baby steps, easy does it, One Moment At A Time", as long as I have the ability to breath & reason, I enjoy life to it's fullest by fellowship with my family & friends, be safe take care & may the Higher Power of your understanding bless you & your loved ones -- One Moment At A Time.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I was not charged for a signature.
What did delay was a confusion of the evidence needed. I sent electronic copies as advised by the council person. Then nothing happened. I had to chase many times then I was advised that only in the case of 'severe mental impairment' hard copies were needed.
Tor other reasons to claim electronic would suffice!
I duly sent docucuments by recorded delivery. chased again but then it was back dated to the date of diagnosis.
Two and a half years @ 25% discount. So worth the effort.
Diagnosis seemed the key.

I was told to claim at start but was not ready to put severe mental impairment as the reason. My husband's dignity seemed under threat. However I did not lose out.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
I was not charged for a signature.
What did delay was a confusion of the evidence needed. I sent electronic copies as advised by the council person. Then nothing happened. I had to chase many times then I was advised that only in the case of 'severe mental impairment' hard copies were needed.
Tor other reasons to claim electronic would suffice!
I duly sent docucuments by recorded delivery. chased again but then it was back dated to the date of diagnosis.
Two and a half years @ 25% discount. So worth the effort.
Diagnosis seemed the key.

I was told to claim at start but was not ready to put severe mental impairment as the reason. My husband's dignity seemed under threat. However I did not lose out.
Worth a try then.... I shall be onto the Council today!

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle

I have had no such problems. I submitted the form electronically on Monday this week and have today received notification of the 25% disregard amount payable back to July 2017, the date when my wife was first awarded Attendance Allowance.

A very simple process, quickly executed by Newcastle City Council so chapeau to them. Definitely worth doing and not worth worrying about the SMI label or loss of dignity that might be implied.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mshaw6