Deputyship

Camille10

Jul 20, 2022
Hello there,
My fathers finances are in a mess with council tax and energy bills left unpaid. All threatening legal action. House insurance has run out and home has been burgled. A family member is looking after my father and it is unlikely he will return home. He has refused POA in the past.. so no one can legally manage his affairs. He has now been diagnosed with dementia but he is in complete denial about this. It is important for him to still to have his bank card and he is using this frequently and bulk buying .My questions are.. would COP approve sale of house ..if it’s not needed to pay for care? There is no one to keep an eye on it and no insurance.Other than this ramshackle property there are only limited funds . Can I request the court to appoint a deputy rather than me or perhaps do this jointly with a solicitor.? I feel it would cause so many arguments in the family ….someone neutral would be better. Thanks for your help.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Camille10 Welcome.

I cannot possibly answer your question but just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

There may be other members here with more experience of your kind of dilemma but I can only suggest you seek legal advice.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
COP would have to be convinced that your father would not need the house again, the usual reason is the owner is in permanent residential care.

All your suggestions for deputy are possible, main thing is to get this done quickly, if his bank suspects he lacks capacity they could freeze his account.

You need legal advice and if no family member is prepared to tackle the situation it may be best to instruct a solicitor to contact creditors before everything escalates.
The lack of insurance cover on the property also needs immediate attention.

Last edited:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @Camille10
A warm welcome from me too

What a sad and awkward situation for you all ... unfortunately it is fairly common for someone to seem to deny their diagnosis, it's part of the symptoms ... your father is not able to grasp that there is anything different about his reasoning, behaviour and abilities, so believes there is nothing wrong with him

Sometimes it's suggested that the 3 digit security number is scratched off the bank card so it can't be used online or over the phone

There may be something on this site to help