• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.



Registered User
Feb 18, 2016
We are about to apply for deputyship for my mum following my dad's death. Initially we were only going for Property & Financial Affairs. We spoke to the SW and they said that it wasn't necessary to get Welfare and Health as we could work together with the care home and SW to reach a decision on welfare/health matters. However I spoke with another SW last week and they are advising me to get Welfare and Health as well. We hope to move Mum from her home town (70miles away) to a care home that is near me.

Any advice on whether Health & Welfare is necessary? Have you applied for it?

Thank you in advance,


New member
Jun 6, 2020
Health and Welfare is rarely applied for. You can work easily with SW without it - MIL's SW and Consultant used 'Best interests' to sort things out.
The Government website has lots of useful information about the different types of Deputyship. If your Mum has a house don't forget to apply for Trusteeship as well as you won't be able to sell it.


Registered User
Apr 6, 2011
North Manchester
H&W deputyship is rarely granted, the COP prefer to deal with decisions on a separate application basis.

If she owns a property you should explicitly apply for permission to sell it in the deputy application.

A trustee is only needed in certain circumstances, it's a completely different application.



Registered User
Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Health and Welfare deputyship is very rarely granted. If you apply and even if it is not awarded you still have to pay all the court fees etc. I was advised not to go for it, so I only had financial deputyship for my mum. It didnt seem to cause any problems, though. Yes, as @nitram says, make sure you request permission the sell any property in the initial application.