Deputyship Expenses

Caligirl

Dec 19, 2018
I have to travel from Derbyshire to see my Dads bank in Reading with my sister. Can I claim Expenses for train ticket and a cheap overnight hotel. I would only be getting a single train ticket to keep costs down as my husband has kindly offered to pick me up on the Saturday. Having to stay over as bank only had a late appointment or we had to wait until 8th August. I am happy to pay it all myself but I know if my Dad was of sound mind would be insisting he pays. I love him dearly and would never ever abuse my Deputyship so really this is just to ask what I can claim for as its all new to me. Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im a bit confused. Why do you have to go to Reading to sort out your dads bank?
When I had to sort out mums bank I could do it through my local branch.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
It isn't about whether your dad would have wanted to pay for it, you are entitled to claim necessary expenses when carrying out your role. If this is the only way of accomplishing the task, you can claim the money back.

Delphie

Dec 14, 2011
I claim for all kinds of travel and have claimed hotel expenses in the past for some business I needed to attend to in person on behalf of our aunt. I didn't go crazy but it certainly wasn't the cheapest either. That kind of thing appears on pretty much all the annual reports I've done over the many years of my Deputyships and nothing's ever been questioned (though I have full explanations ready should anyone be interested - I know I'm accountable and I understand why).

Don't hesitate to claim back what you're owed. You're performing a very valuable service (for want of a better word) and there is no reason you should be out of pocket.

Caligirl

Dec 19, 2018
Im a bit confused. Why do you have to go to Reading to sort out your dads bank?
When I had to sort out mums bank I could do it through my local branch.
My sister and I need to go together so she is not left without any access to pay his shopping etc and everyday bills, she lives in Reading. Plus we also intend to visit Reading Borough Council re his council tax etc. It just makes sense initially for me to go to Reading and for us to set things up together so we are both fully aware of whats been setup.

Last edited:

Caligirl

Dec 19, 2018
I claim for all kinds of travel and have claimed hotel expenses in the past for some business I needed to attend to in person on behalf of our aunt. I didn't go crazy but it certainly wasn't the cheapest either. That kind of thing appears on pretty much all the annual reports I've done over the many years of my Deputyships and nothing's ever been questioned (though I have full explanations ready should anyone be interested - I know I'm accountable and I understand why).

Don't hesitate to claim back what you're owed. You're performing a very valuable service (for want of a better word) and there is no reason you should be out of pocket.
Thank you for this reply. I will keep all the relevant receipts etc and like you know I am accountable. I just really have nowhere to stay that night as my Sister lives with my niece and her family and there is no room.Its just easier if we are together when sorting things initially so we are both aware of whats been setup.

Caligirl

Dec 19, 2018
It isn't about whether your dad would have wanted to pay for it, you are entitled to claim necessary expenses when carrying out your role. If this is the only way of accomplishing the task, you can claim the money back.
Thank you. Its all a bit daunting what yoi can and cant claim for and it makes sense to set things up together initially so we are both aware of whats been sorted.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I understand it's all a bit daunting. Just remember that you don't necessarily have to visit in person. You should be able to do most things online/via a phone call and then post. The only in-person visit I did was to my mother's bank, at the nearest branch to me. I have LPA so it's slightly different but even with deputyship I doubt there is any need to do many visits in person. Usually you can call them and ask what paperwork they would like you to send. I certainly never visited the council!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I had deputyship and like Sirena I only did in-person call to mums bank at my nearest branch and after that I could set up on-line banking.

I am assuming that you and your sister both have the deputyship, which is why both need to go to set up the deputyship. After this you should be able to either do banking on-line or go to your local branch.

BTW, if you have any queries about what you are and arnt allowed to do as a deputy, Ive always found the Office of Public Guardians helpline very helpful.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
We had LPA which might be different but to sort out access to Mums bank account, we all went to different branches of the same bank to present the relevant paperwork. We have not needed to contract any other organisation in person, usually a phone call, or email/scan of the certifies document has been sufficient.

But we have not really used our power of attorney other than for banking, we have not needed to contact her local authority or the utility companies yet but I guess when we do, only one of us will sort it out as we can all act independently. I'm trying to think it situations when we might need to go in person but am struggling.

Having said that, I know any reasonable expenses can be claimed but you might be surprised at how much you can achieve without actually going to the company.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
But we have not really used our power of attorney other than for banking, we have not needed to contact her local authority or the utility companies yet but I guess when we do, only one of us will sort it out as we can all act independently. I'm trying to think it situations when we might need to go in person but am struggling.

I doubt you'd need to visit anyone in person. In the process of moving my mother out of her flat and into a CH I've had to contact everyone she ever dealt with, including her IFA who handled all her money, landlord, utilities, council, insurance. Aside from initially registering the LPA at her bank, I did it all online/by phone/post.

Caligirl

Dec 19, 2018
Thank you for all the comments. I went home to see my Dads bank with my sister. My expenses were small and it will be the only thing we do together as everything else will be done online or by phone or post. Can I ask did utility companies and DWP etc need to see an original Deputyship order before you were able to discuss accounts with them?. My Dad ia definitely on lots of wrong tarriffs and I intend to save him as much money as I can to enable him to have the best care he can both now and going forward.

silversea2020

May 12, 2019
If you ring the companies in the first instance, they’ll advise you accordingly what you need to do/provide etc

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I dealt with the DWP to apply for Attendance Allowance and they required a copy of the LPA, so assume they'll need to see the Deputyship paperwork. I think you'll need to call the utilities to ask what they need.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
For all the Banjoman’s financial affairs apart from his Bank, who I went to see personally, I wrote and told all official departments that I had LPA, sent a Certified Copy and asked that all future correspondence be sent to my address and requested that the LPA be returned to me. It was always accepted and returned.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
For all the Banjoman’s financial affairs apart from his Bank, who I went to see personally, I wrote and told all official departments that I had LPA, sent a Certified Copy and asked that all future correspondence be sent to my address and requested that the LPA be returned to me. It was always accepted and returned.

You're luckier than me, the LPAs come back to me at approximately a ratio of 1 in 2. I am still waiting for one I sent out in April. I sent a reminder last month but I know it's never going to turn up - infuriating. Fortunately I have a couple left on file ready for when I need the send the next one, never to see it again.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
You're luckier than me, the LPAs come back to me at approximately a ratio of 1 in 2. I am still waiting for one I sent out in April. I sent a reminder last month but I know it's never going to turn up - infuriating. Fortunately I have a couple left on file ready for when I need the send the next one, never to see it again.

At £25 a copy that is not funny! Maybe you ought to send them an invoice or write and remind them that these things cost you.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
It should be automatic to return it, shouldn't it - I mean what else do they do with it once they have scanned it? This latest one was sent to the best known Over 50s Plan people, who have certainly not failed to live down to my expectations. Every time I see that advert on TV I grind my teeth!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Some of the issue is that nowadays most offices operate a scan and destroy policy, so if there is someone who is not overly clued up they might just destroy it I suspect.

In my office all post goes to the relevant partner first so they then put it into the scan and keep or scan and destroy pile, we then retain for I think 14 days after scanning before we destroy.

Client original documents (receipts and invoices) are only returned if requested, as HMRC will always accept scanned copies, although confirmation is asked for from the client. We would know what an LPA is and that would automatically be returned even if not requested to be returned by the client.

Much larger operations would likely scan stuff as it comes in the post room, so the person dealing with it never sees the paper version, I've seen suggestions to put post it notes on the LPA as these then would get spotted by the scanner, as they would need to remove to scan.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
That makes perfect sense. However in this case, they actually volunteered the info on the phone that it would be returned to me. Still, that £25 is nothing compared with the money my mother wasted on their products.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976