Deputyship and informing people

me31cw

Aug 3, 2022
I am in the process of applying to be a deputy for property and affairs on behalf of my Mum, who has been in a care home approaching two years after she was deemed to require sufficient care that being at home was not possible. It's been a long road so far, awaiting a form to be filled in by a suitable practitioner, but I've completed and sent the forms in and had them acknowledged.

The problem I have, which I am hoping someone may be able to advise on, is informing other people about my application. The letter I've received with my stamped COP1 form says "You must identify at least 3 people who are likely to have an interest in the application and notify them", but I can't think of three people. I have a sister, I've been keeping her informed all the way along and have listed her in the form, but Mum really doesn't know that many people and pretty much stayed at home with my Dad for the last few years, and went into the home just before he passed away. I have an Auntie (my Mum's sister in law) of a similar age to Mum, and a couple of cousins, but none of them have seen Mum for years, and I'm not sure how they'd have an "interest" in the deputy application.

There must be many people who don't have that many close friends or relatives, what can I do in this situation? I can't believe that the intention is for me to just rope in neighbours and general other people.

Any thoughts, anyone? I'm not using a solicitor for the application as it all seemed reasonable straightforward until this bit.

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
We struggled a bit as well when we did it for MIL & FIL - we ended up putting their grandchildren (all adults at the time) on as neither had much to do with their siblings . We has to list all the grandchildren even though only one lived close by and saw them regularly. The guide notes for COP1 give a list of people in order of consideration.
Hope this is some help.

me31cw

Aug 3, 2022
Thanks. I did have a look at the list (I think), it just didn't seem to give me any hints. There are no grandchildren, and while there are no fallings-out, we just haven't been that close a family.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
List the 3 most sensible, who are not likely to object.

Bod

me31cw

Aug 3, 2022
Thanks. I haven't read that document, but I have now and unfortunately it doesn't really add anyone to the list. Care home manager is a good suggestion, I hadn't thought of that but I imagine they would probably need to be on the list. Unfortunately she doesn't really have any friends still around.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
They want somebody who knows both the applicant and the person lacking capacity and can judge if the applicant is suitable for a deputy.

Is there anybody who fits
" For example, P may have a close friend with an interest in being notified because he or she provides care to P on an informal basis."
Maybe extend this to a mutual friend who visits your mum.

me31cw

Aug 3, 2022
No, there's no-one else. I spoke to the care home and they told me that they don't need to be included in the list, and that they've never had one of these forms come through to them. I've included her niece and nephew and that brings us to the required number.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R