Deprivation of Liberty

Joanne7

Feb 14, 2020
A friend has had a DOLs in place which is now due to review. I believe the original DOLs was put in place to keep her safe as she repeatedly tried to leave Care Home. She did not understand the judgement at the time and I don't believe she is at risk any more from trying to leave.

Will she still need a DOLs? Are there any benefits to having a DOLs - are there any negative aspects to having a DOls.

Thanks for reading my query.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Joanne7 and welcome to DTP.

A DOLS is basically a safeguarding mechanism. If someone is in a secure environment (a dementia home, for example) then they are being deprived of their liberty and the DOLS is to make sure that this is reasonable. Obviously it is of more importance to make sure that a DOLS is in place if they would try and leave, but its pretty much a routine thing for residents of a secure unit. My mum had a DOLS right up until the time she passed away and I did not find it a problem.

Joanne7

Feb 14, 2020
Thank you for your reply. This is all new to me and a bit of a steep learning curve! I don't think the care home is a secure unit as such , I can take my friend out for the afternoon for example. They do keep the door locked but I don't think this is because of my friend - As I said her days of trying to get out herself are no more.
Financially will she need to pay more with a DOLs or will should I be helping her claim an allowance if she is subject to a DOLs? She is self funding so every little bit helps.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome to the forum @Joanne7.

There is a Society Factsheet that covers this issue and if you want to read it just click the 2nd line of the following link
Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) (483)
PDF printable version

If you wish to read any additional literature about the various aspects of dementia you can find the publications list by clicking the following link

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Hi Joanne7, as canary has said it is a safeguarding issue - as I understand it (and I may be wrong,) but this is how it was explained to me - because Mum was moved to a nursing home from hospital by a social worker and we agreed to the move, they need to check that the nursing home was the right place for her and that she would not be safe and a danger to herself if she were to be returned home. The DOLS report does not impact financially and it is merely confirmation that the PWD is in the right place for their needs and safety. Mum has had 2 DOLS assessments and nothing has changed

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I don't think the care home is a secure unit as such , I can take my friend out for the afternoon for example. They do keep the door locked but I don't think this is because of my friend
If the door is kept locked then it is a secure unit. I used to be able to take mum out too, even though she lived in a secure unit and had a DOLS - just because someone is in a secure unit doesnt mean they have to stay inside all the time, it just means that they cannot go out unaccompanied and the home needs to know who they are going out with.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Mum’s home has locked doors. Residents who
Have capacity know the codes and come and go as they please. Ones like mum can go out as long as it is with someone.
DoLS is assessed every year and I don’t think there are any particular disadvantages to having one. I found it useful to chat to the social worker when mum’s was renewed in December as it helped assure me mum is in the right place for her needs.

Joanne7

Feb 14, 2020
Everyone - thank you so much. I have been flipping form one site to another trying to find information, there is so much out there it was difficult to know which bits to access first. With the information you have given with the fact sheets kariokePete I can have something to go on - also others for your information from personal experience - just brilliant. Thankyou