Deprivation of assets - what to do?

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
It is a new car costing £14,500, I gave him £4000 towards it and paid for the insurance, it was paid outright with no finance. There is still no sign he will need funding anytime soon, infact his health is really good except for his mobility issue. The payment was made by bankers draft because he has not used his card for anything in over 15 years and deals in cash for everything except a few DDs.

Thanks for the response, I'm starting to think we did things completely wrong but with the best intentions so maybe selling the car is the best idea and I will take the depreciation hit so dad doesn't lose out. This will make things more difficult for him however and my dad may not want to sell the car which may cause problems.
So your Dad gave you £10500 towards a car for his use . Quite honestly this would provide your Dad with about 4months care ...depending on where you live. Does he live with you at present?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
So your Dad gave you £10500 towards a car for his use . Quite honestly this would provide your Dad with about 4months care
That is true, and all the while he self-funding it wont be an issue, so if he remains self-funding all during his life, there wont be a problem. The problem will come if/when his assets dip below the £24,000 mark and £10,500 is pretty much the difference between some one self-funding and someone needing total LA funding

Jim52

Dec 10, 2018
hi @Jim52
personally, I am not so sure you need to sell the car - from all you describe there is no deliberate deprivation, although the sum involved is quite large - you will lose out straight away if you sell the car and keeping it then selling it in a few years should your dad no longer be able to use it wouldn't mean losing much more than selling it now, if you look after it and it has low mileage - if you need a car, might you slowly buy it from your dad, so he has the use and eventually it's yours?
life goes on and it seems daft to now sell and lose money
I am assumong the car is in his name even though you will be the driver

I sadly don't have much use for a car currently so buying it out slowly isn't really an option, I just worry that long term it may be best just to sell the car now and I'll deal with the deprecation so he wont lose out and there's no issues with care in the future.

The intentions here are absolutely fine - he bought a new car so that he could be chauffeured around

Unfortunately, the paper trail makes it look like he gifted you with over £10,000 and you bought a new car for yourself with the money. He may not need care yet, but he had already been diagnosed with dementia and will certainly need care at some stage. Im not trying to get at you @Jim52 Im just saying how it will appear to the local Authority and they are known to be willing to go back many years if they suspect deprivation of assets.

Im afraid that I dont know how to square this.

If you do find that you have to sell the car to return the £10,000, there would actually be no reason why he couldnt buy another car - just make sure that the paper trail is correct and that his name is on the paper work when he buys it - even if you help him

What you have said is all very sensible and inline with what I'm thinking, thank you for the advice.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I suppose it depends on what proportion £14,500 is of his savings. If it is half, it may look a bit suspect, but if it is a small amount of the whole, it would be acceptable. I think if you can prove the paper trail of the £10,500 coming from your Dad's bank to yours and then to finance the car, that would help clarify things. Make sure you keep the relevant paperwork with your Dad's financial papers.

In a way, this is academic as you don't know how far down the line your Dad may need care and if he gets a lot of use of the car in the mean time, that should go in your favour. Perhaps keep details of your trips to prove this.

Jim52

Dec 10, 2018
So your Dad gave you £10500 towards a car for his use . Quite honestly this would provide your Dad with about 4months care ...depending on where you live. Does he live with you at present?

Now that I have become aware of the situation with regards to possible future funding I completely agree. He lives in his own house and the family keep tabs on him.

That is true, and all the while he self-funding it wont be an issue, so if he remains self-funding all during his life, there wont be a problem. The problem will come if/when his assets dip below the £24,000 mark and £10,500 is pretty much the difference between some one self-funding and someone needing total LA funding

He would be able to self fund for a few years I'd expect.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I am not an expert in such things but I really would not worry for now. It sounds like the amount spent on the car was a fairly small percentage of your fathers savings and it might be years before the LA need to fund care - if ever. At that time, if there is an issue about deprivation of funds, then I would have thought the paperwork you have would show that it was bought to help keep your dad at home. The date on the banker draft and the purchase date would correspond. Is it any different to buying a stairlift or fitting a downstairs bathroom in a house to facilitate care? Such things do not always add value to a house so costs are not always recouped.

We have just registered the LPA with my mums bank so we can keep an eye on her funds and step in immediately if necessary. She is not aware that we have done this as she still has her own card and full access. We discovered two totally unnecessary scam direct debits which we have cancelled!

Jim52

Dec 10, 2018
I suppose it depends on what proportion £14,500 is of his savings. If it is half, it may look a bit suspect, but if it is a small amount of the whole, it would be acceptable. I think if you can prove the paper trail of the £10,500 coming from your Dad's bank to yours and then to finance the car, that would help clarify things. Make sure you keep the relevant paperwork with your Dad's financial papers.

In a way, this is academic as you don't know how far down the line your Dad may need care and if he gets a lot of use of the car in the mean time, that should go in your favour. Perhaps keep details of your trips to prove this.

He did not put any money in my bank, I withdrew £3700 from my bank and had already paid the deposit for him of £300 on my card, he then deposited the £3700 into his account and had a bankers draft made-up with the garage name on it which was handed to the dealer.

I agree it's all academic currently we're just trying to make sure there is no issues in the future if he needs the help. We all regret deeply not looking into the care system and how it works sooner so this could have been avoided, its been a real eye opener.

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:

Jim52

Dec 10, 2018
I am not an expert in such things but I really would not worry for now. It sounds like the amount spent on the car was a fairly small percentage of your fathers savings and it might be years before the LA need to fund care - if ever. At that time, if there is an issue about deprivation of funds, then I would have thought the paperwork you have would show that it was bought to help keep your dad at home. The date on the banker draft and the purchase date would correspond. Is it any different to buying a stairlift or fitting a downstairs bathroom in a house to facilitate care? Such things do not always add value to a house so costs are not always recouped.

We have just registered the LPA with my mums bank so we can keep an eye on her funds and step in immediately if necessary. She is not aware that we have done this as she still has her own card and full access. We discovered two totally unnecessary scam direct debits which we have cancelled!

That's a good way of looking at it, thanks for your advice.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Is it not possible for Jim to transfer the car to his dad's name so dad becomes the legal owner? Or would that not solve the issues which @canary has mentioned?

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
@Jim52 I personally don't see a problem with what you have done, in some respects you have helped your dad buy the car, so you have technically 'gifted' him some money towards the purchase, plus you are paying for the insurance. Probably the only issue is that the car is owned by you and not your dad, but you can admit that this was a genuine mistake and maybe something the garage did rather than you requested. To back yourself up, just keep a record of the purchase trail for any future questions if they arise.

However, in terms of assets, you can still say that the car is an asset of your dads and was purchased for his benefit. The vehicle can be sold at any point in the future and whatever funds you get from the sale could be paid into your dad's account, as long as you show no benefit from the sale there should not be a problem.

If I was you, just to prove the vehicle is being used for the benefit of your dad, I would keep a record of all the mileage/journeys etc you take and all receipts for fuel/maintenance etc.

I wouldn't worry.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Is it not possible for Jim to transfer the car to his dad's name so dad becomes the legal owner? Or would that not solve the issues which @canary has mentioned?
This would indeed solve the problem, but I dont know how to do it. Fortunately none of his dads money ever went into his account, so if the car ownership could be transferred to his dad, all would straight. I dont know enough about legal things, but one thing comes to mind - could he sell the car to his dad for 1p and make sure the paperwork is all there?

Jim52

Dec 10, 2018
@Jim52 I personally don't see a problem with what you have done, in some respects you have helped your dad buy the car, so you have technically 'gifted' him some money towards the purchase, plus you are paying for the insurance. Probably the only issue is that the car is owned by you and not your dad, but you can admit that this was a genuine mistake and maybe something the garage did rather than you requested. To back yourself up, just keep a record of the purchase trail for any future questions if they arise.

However, in terms of assets, you can still say that the car is an asset of your dads and was purchased for his benefit. The vehicle can be sold at any point in the future and whatever funds you get from the sale could be paid into your dad's account, as long as you show no benefit from the sale there should not be a problem.

If I was you, just to prove the vehicle is being used for the benefit of your dad, I would keep a record of all the mileage/journeys etc you take and all receipts for fuel/maintenance etc.

I wouldn't worry.

Thanks for the reply this sounds very sensible also. Since getting the PoA's setup for my dad in October I have been keeping a record of purchases being made and journeys even though we're technically not using the powers yet I felt it was prudent to do so. I have all receipts for everything and have been logging all journeys in the car plus writing the current mileage on the back of each petrol receipt.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
He did not put any money in my bank, I withdrew £3700 from my bank and had already paid the deposit for him of £300 on my card, he then deposited the £3700 into his account and had a bankers draft made-up with the garage name on it which was handed to the dealer.

I agree it's all academic currently we're just trying to make sure there is no issues in the future if he needs the help. We all regret deeply not looking into the care system and how it works sooner so this could have been avoided, its been a real eye opener.

Thanks for your advice.
I'm a bit confused
Thanks for the reply this sounds very sensible also. Since getting the PoA's setup for my dad in October I have been keeping a record of purchases being made and journeys even though we're technically not using the powers yet I felt it was prudent to do so. I have all receipts for everything and have been logging all journeys in the car plus writing the current mileage on the back of each petrol receipt.
Sounds good. This might be a ridiculous idea but perhaps if you explained the situation to the garage they might be able to reissue the purchase documents with your Dad's name on them.

Jim52

Dec 10, 2018
I'm a bit confused

Sounds good. This might be a ridiculous idea but perhaps if you explained the situation to the garage they might be able to reissue the purchase documents with your Dad's name on them.

I didn't actually think about that, does anyone know if this is possible and meet the legal requirements?

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
This would indeed solve the problem, but I dont know how to do it. Fortunately none of his dads money ever went into his account, so if the car ownership could be transferred to his dad, all would straight. I dont know enough about legal things, but one thing comes to mind - could he sell the car to his dad for 1p and make sure the paperwork is all there?

Google seems to say if it's fairly easy to transfer ownership, lots of hits for it e.g.

https://www.cornerpark.co.uk/blog/guidelines-on-how-to-transfer-ownership-of-your-vehicle-to-s/#

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
This seems to be actually explaining how to change who is the registered keeper. If you sell your car then it will usually have a new registered keeper, but the registered keeper is not necessarily the same as the owner.

When my son started to drive my old car he became the registered keeper and the form was sent off to change this as he was the one who was driving it, but it was still owned by me.

Jim52

Dec 10, 2018
Google seems to say if it's fairly easy to transfer ownership, lots of hits for it e.g.

https://www.cornerpark.co.uk/blog/guidelines-on-how-to-transfer-ownership-of-your-vehicle-to-s/#

Thanks for the advice however I'm not sure this process would work as it seems it would just replace the V5 and change the keeper.

This seems to be actually explaining how to change who is the registered keeper. If you sell your car then it will usually have a new registered keeper, but the registered keeper is not necessarily the same as the owner.

When my son started to drive my old car he became the registered keeper and the form was sent off to change this as he was the one who was driving it, but it was still owned by me.

Exactly what I thought.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
The "Owner" of the car is the person/company who's name is on the invoice from the vehicle seller/dealer.
The "Registered Keeper" is the person/company named on the V5 (Log-book)
These need not be the same. The classic example is when you buy a car on hire-purchase, the finance company owns the car,(till you finish paying them) but all the parking/speeding tickets come to you as registered keeper. Even if someone else is the driver!
It states on the front of the V5 that the registered keeper is not necessarily the legal owner of the car.
For your purposes it is the name on the invoice that is important, that is who owns the car.

Bod

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
I would leave everything how it is, as long as you can prove you do not gain anything from the car and when it is no longer required for your dad’s use and sold all proceeds go to your dad, then all should be fine.

Before I realised there was anything wrong with my dad. He bought himself a brand new car, which was totally unsuitable for him, I think he paid about £12k for it. After having it about 6 months and bumping/scraping it numerous times trying to park it into his drive as it was a tight squeeze and not the easiest thing to manoeuvre into, he went back to the garage and ‘swapped’ it for a smaller and cheaper car, which was an ex demo.

I only found out a year or so later when I started to manage his finances that he actually paid the garage another £3.5K to do this so called swap. I believe he was totally ripped off but nothing I could do about it. So what I’m trying to say, is that what you did helping and supporting your dad through the process of buying the car was all done in his best interests, unfortunately a couple of genuine mistakes were made, more by the garage than you, but don’t worry about it. I just wish my dad had consulted me before he did what he did so I could have helped.

Last edited: