depression and dementia

Georgia doors

Nov 5, 2019
hi ,
i work as an activities co-ordinator in a large care home and i try so hard to make people happy.but there is a few residents who constantly say they want to die or have had enough of life. How do i tackle this situation? I've tried talking finding things they like and introducing new and old things i think they would like but nothing is working .

any advise ?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
hi ,
i work as an activities co-ordinator in a large care home and i try so hard to make people happy.but there is a few residents who constantly say they want to die or have had enough of life. How do i tackle this situation? I've tried talking finding things they like and introducing new and old things i think they would like but nothing is working .

any advise ?
Hello and welcome.

Apathy, depression and anxiety are common bedfellows of dementia. My wife is medicated for both anxiety and depression as well as her dementia.

There is a Society Factsheet about the issue and you may find a few hints in it. I'll post a link in a minute

silver'lantern

Apr 23, 2019
Its a hard one.... each persons depression and anxiety is personal to them I guess. Then dementia issues on top! Sometimes you can't make it better. But I like that you didn't just give up and you found this forum to ask people. There is one forum for people that have dementia, maybe they could help.
My PwD has depression and is medicated for it which helps. But before he was it was a rocky road to be on. Nothing was right and he became a hermit refusing to go out. He shut down, I think, as they dont understand what is happening, can't process the information.
another thing I found is they get stuck in a loop so cant find a way out. Even now this happens. also, for some, sensory overload shuts them down. They don't always need/want an activity at the time you want to offer it.
Its also not always a good thing to ask if they want to do something. Sometimes NO is the easy reply ........ maybe if they are sat at a table just walk over and start something, a table top activity......like sorting cards looking at pictures or colouring...once you have taken the NO away maybe they will just join in. My PwD like repetitive things .... rug pegging is his favorite at the moment. A lot will depend on their ability as well. Its such a complex disease its hard to say without knowing the person and their needs