Depressed?

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
GL oh you do know me so well :))) !!! I will look at that course on the net. It's is however the mental health and survives what make me stressed with their ever ready labels and their ticking of boxes as this illness does not fit in boxes or ticks! Glad that you all helped me to confirm what I was thinking in the first place ..... Not depressed just struggling and worse out on this roller coaster of a journey!!! Xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

The course was some time ago , on Future Learn Web site. They often repeat courses and I am starting a new one tomorrow. These courses are for a few weeks and you only study for a couple of hours a week. Great courses and FREE.

When you have time look at Perter Kinderman's Blog and follow some of his writing.

I remember Maureen being grilled, by the Memory Service, for about half an hour on her mood. She said how can I be depressed you are here to help me - aren't you? A very interesting question!!!!

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
I think it's just become the 'thing to say'. Depression is a very complex condition, it takes many forms, and isn't easy to deal with or treat. My mother suffered from depression from me being eleven years old until the day she died, I was fifty by then. It was a trial for my father and myself.

Instead of being 'fed up' 'tired out' 'stressed', many just use 'depressed', when in actual fact it is not the case. Why are these so called professionals so quick to diagnose such a condition, when they clearly have no idea at all what depression truly is.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
I think it's just become the 'thing to say'. Depression is a very complex condition, it takes many forms, and isn't easy to deal with or treat. My mother suffered from depression from me being eleven years old until the day she died, I was fifty by then. It was a trial for my father and myself.

Instead of being 'fed up' 'tired out' 'stressed', many just use 'depressed', when in actual fact it is not the case. Why are these so called professionals so quick to diagnose such a condition, when they clearly have no idea at all what depression truly is.

Hiya Bree , it is a very difficult illness depression! Hence the need to ask for advise on here. I did not think I was depressed but however much I said so, they keep on reverting back to it! That made me ask myself " Am I ". But I don't think I am at all! Just frustrated, tired and fed up due to lack of sleep . It's a beautiful, sunny day today and I am in a good mood singing away to Sam Smith doing roast dinner. I really can't be bothered with the so called professionals at the moment as they haven't got a clue! Quite frankly giving up trying to explain things to them. I am strong though, might loose a few feathers on the way but will cope somehow , have to xx

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
Chick, yes we soldier on, sometimes in spite of the so called professionals, who as I see it, call round, sit for a while as they find out all about you, (and your finances) then disappear into the ether and do absolutely nothing for you or your OH. Lip service comes to mind. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Chick, yes we soldier on, sometimes in spite of the so called professionals, who as I see it, call round, sit for a while as they all about you, (and your finances) then disappear into the ether and do absolutely nothing for you or your OH. Lip service comes to mind. :rolleyes:

That made me smile Bree, love your name by the way as my bestes is also called Bree xx

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
I have been thinking about this Thread a lot today for a number of reasons. I just wonder why dementia is associated with Mental Health? I think dementia would be better seen as brain injury that can, or cannot, be treated.

If someone had a car accident that resulted in injury to their brain then an assessment would be made of the likelihood of their recovery. Treatment would follow with the anticipation of improvement, or not, in their condition. So why do we treat people whose brain has been damaged by dementia differently. Why are they, or their carers, pestered about mood? It is because Memory Services are located within Mental Health: an association that makes little sense to me. Dementia is not a mental illness it is a result of deterioration within the brain and has nothing to do with the mind.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I have been thinking about this Thread a lot today for a number of reasons. I just wonder why dementia is associated with Mental Health? I think dementia would be better seen as brain injury that can, or cannot, be treated.

If someone had a car accident that resulted in injury to their brain then an assessment would be made of the likelihood of their recovery. Treatment would follow with the anticipation of improvement, or not, in their condition. So why do we treat people whose brain has been damaged by dementia differently. Why are they, or their carers, pestered about mood? It is because Memory Services are located within Mental Health: an association that makes little sense to me. Dementia is not a mental illness it is a result of deterioration within the brain and has nothing to do with the mind.
I couldn't agree more

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Great thread Heike Chick, I wrote a longish post earlier but the tablet dumped it!:mad: I haven't had the energy to redo it. I've been very tired and quite low (not depressed). When I get really tired instead of doing the sensible thing and cutting out unnecessary things and resting I give myself a hard time because I'm scared I am becoming unable to cope.That does make me feel bad but I know in a day or two I will be back to normal. I need a proper break but know that isn't going to happen - not in the foreseeable anyway. I really need to see if I can get some help in the house and/or garden, it's getting the right person though. Would be lovely to just have someone else to be doing something. Love Es
xxx

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Great thread Heike Chick, I wrote a longish post earlier but the tablet dumped it!:mad: I haven't had the energy to redo it. I've been very tired and quite low (not depressed). When I get really tired instead of doing the sensible thing and cutting out unnecessary things and resting I give myself a hard time because I'm scared I am becoming unable to cope.That does make me feel bad but I know in a day or two I will be back to normal. I need a proper break but know that isn't going to happen - not in the foreseeable anyway. I really need to see if I can get some help in the house and/or garden, it's getting the right person though. Would be lovely to just have someone else to be doing something. Love Es
xxx

Hope you get the help you need soon Es.

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
" Just laughed as consultant suggested to sleep in separate rooms??????? As if that would help, I still would hear John getting out of bed and shouting so would have to get up! Useless suggestion"

Often wondered what training these consultants have to pass before they get their big fat salaries! Understanding real people's lives and common sense obviously aren't necessary for the role.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
That's a bit of a sweeping generalisation, isn't it? They can only make suggestions, not everyone's the same but for OH and me separate bedrooms work as he doesn't shout and I can't hear him snore from here. Though I didn't need a consultant to figure this one out.

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Sorry if I offended you Beate, what I meant was that most people would have worked out for themselves if separate rooms was a solution - and indeed a practical one if living in a small property.

I found out more from reading a couple of Alz Soc factsheets than I did from trying to squeeze info from Mum's consultant, it was as if he just wanted to repeat a few basic generalized facts about the brain and dementia and never wanted to be bothered properly diagnosing and discussing Mum as an individual.

Sorry again if the way I typed my post caused any offence, I'm sure there are some clever and caring consultants out there, I just haven't met one yet.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Seperate rooms? What a luxury that would be! If I so much as creep to the loo in our ensuite my husband gets up demanding to know where I've gone. I've tried creeping across the landing to the spare room, but within a few minutes he arrives and creeps in beside me.
Lately, after having resisted for months, in desperation I've been giving him a sleeping tablet at bedtime. Last night he woke me up fifteen times. So I came downstairs half an hour ago and he's been down six times....

No, I'm not " depressed". I can still make a joke or laugh at someone else's joke, and enjoy watching the birds or planning a meal out. That isn't "Depression! I AM TIRED. I AM UNHAPPY. I AM NOT " DEPRESSED".

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
xxx

Oh dear Es, you do sound tired ! I too know how that feels my lovely. Wish we could all meet up and have a good old chinwag . I think it's all the responsibility what weighs heavy on our shoulders as we have to do 2 ppls job all the time ! It would be lovely to be able to share a bit of that wouldn't it?! We are deemed coping too and we just soldier on. Much much love to you Heike xxxxx

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Seperate rooms? What a luxury that would be! If I so much as creep to the loo in our ensuite my husband gets up demanding to know where I've gone. I've tried creeping across the landing to the spare room, but within a few minutes he arrives and creeps in beside me.
Lately, after having resisted for months, in desperation I've been giving him a sleeping tablet at bedtime. Last night he woke me up fifteen times. So I came downstairs half an hour ago and he's been down six times....

No, I'm not " depressed". I can still make a joke or laugh at someone else's joke, and enjoy watching the birds or planning a meal out. That isn't "Depression! I AM TIRED. I AM UNHAPPY. I AM NOT " DEPRESSED".

Yep same here ! I was not saying separate beds is wrong just that it isent a solution to our problem with night time unfortunately . Our stroke consultant is wonderful and so is our GP. I just get frustrated with the dementia services and part as they are not really listening and more interested in ticking boxes to say they have been! I know they had cut backs and they haven't got the resources anymore but to put my tiredness and struggles down to depression it's just so wrong , when I am so clearly not .

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
" Just laughed as consultant suggested to sleep in separate rooms??????? As if that would help, I still would hear John getting out of bed and shouting so would have to get up! Useless suggestion"

Often wondered what training these consultants have to pass before they get their big fat salaries! Understanding real people's lives and common sense obviously aren't necessary for the role.

Hiya Gigglemore thank you for your comments . I do agree with you. Like raggedyann said when John gets up and shouts separate beds are no solution as he might want to put kettle on and tamper with the gas, thinking its a non electric kettle! He has done that before or leave the taps running and floods the house, done that too. We have flood detectors but John thinks they are air freshner and picks them up. So I have got to be on the look out separate beds or not . X

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm sorry folks are not feeling so good. I understand about tiredness and feeling unhappy. Me too sometimes. Not depression.

We're lucky enough to have a big bedroom. Bill got a hospital bed after his stay in hospital with pneumonia so that he can sleep with the back raised. I have kept our double bed in the room. We look like a branch of 'BedsRUs'!!:rolleyes: Bill seems to have come through his long period of getting up and wandering around. He is still restless but it is easier not being in the same bed. His favourite thing just now is throwing his duvet onto the floor. After a while he then tries to pull my duvet across to cover him! Little devil!!

I hope you all have a peaceful day and if you can get some rest. x

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
I'm sorry folks are not feeling so good. I understand about tiredness and feeling unhappy. Me too sometimes. Not depression.

We're lucky enough to have a big bedroom. Bill got a hospital bed after his stay in hospital with pneumonia so that he can sleep with the back raised. I have kept our double bed in the room. We look like a branch of 'BedsRUs'!!:rolleyes: Bill seems to have come through his long period of getting up and wandering around. He is still restless but it is easier not being in the same bed. His favourite thing just now is throwing his duvet onto the floor. After a while he then tries to pull my duvet across to cover him! Little devil!!

I hope you all have a peaceful day and if you can get some rest. x

I'm giggling , love the the term bedsRUS :)))) I am actually feeling quite good Izzy only put my thread depression up as it was suggested I was ! I than kind of thought Am I ?!? And wanted to see what other friends on here thought about it. Didn't mean to course upset or offend anyone . It was lovely to see how many of us had something to say about this . Wishing you and Bill a lovely day and hoping you are less tired after your op x