Dentistry

Vicki

Feb 21, 2005
Hello,

Just to introduce myself, my name is Vicki and I work in the Society's National Office as a Policy and Campaigns Development Officer.

The Forum has raised in the past the issue of dentistry and I am writing to see if there are any carers who would be interested in being a patient representative on a Review Group looking at older people and dentistry?

Here is some more information about the Group:

The Chief Dental Office for England, Professor Raman Bedi, has set up a Strategic Review Group for the Oral Health Care of Older People in England. They have asked the Alzheimer’s Society to nominate someone to join the Group as a patient representative. The Group is made up of mainly dentists and professors, but also includes representatives from the Department of Health and Age Concern.

The Strategic Review Group are looking for a patient representative from the Alzheimer’s Society who has a general interest in dentistry and an understanding of some of the problems faced by people with dementia when accessing dental services.

How often will the Group meet?

The first meeting of the Group is on 28 February 2005, 11am – 4pm, Central London. It is unlikely the Alzheimer’s Society representative will be able to attend. After this meeting, the Group will form small working groups that will look at particular issues. It is likely that the working groups will communicate via email or telephone and, therefore, a willingness to read and comment on papers will be important for the patient representative. The Group will meet together in London to agree the final report in July/ August 2005.

What is the purpose of the Review Group?

The purpose of the Review Group is to:
· Carry out a strategic review of the oral health needs of older people
· Examine to what extent they are met within the new NHS, and
· Provide a vision for an implementation plan to achieve their oral health needs

If you want to find out more or interested in putting your name forward, please contact Vicki Combe on vcombe@alzheimers.org.uk or telephone 020 7306 0606.

Thank you for your time.